• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reticulitermes flavipes questions (important)!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 4 2017 - 3:22 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I have recently obtained a bunch of Reticulitermes flavipes de-alate termites. They are of mixed sex (some are queens and some are kings) and they are currently being kept in standard test tube setups with damp sheets (slightly thicker than printer paper) of cardboard placed in inside. The first test tube currently contains 11 de-alates and one egg (I have had them for almost two days so far) and the second contains five de-alates and 2-3 eggs. Here is my short list of questions related to both of these colonies :

1. Are R. flavipes de-alates polygamous? I am aware that other species of termite will occasionally form colonies from several pairings instead of only one king and one queen. I figured that the same would apply here. If I am doing something completely wrong, PLEASE tell me. CT is home to only one species of termite, which seems to only stage one flight per year, meaning that I cannot collect more.

2. One of my de-alates in the first test tube setup is dying and it is not clear as to why that is. Is it possible that this particular termite only tolerates monogamous colonies and this was an act of cannibalism or did it die of something else entirely.

3. What setups do you guys use to keep termites (if you do in fact keep termites)? If there is any miscellaneous advice you might want to share, that would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 5 2017 - 3:44 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

It turns out that the dying de-alate was in the process of being cannibalized by the other de-alates, so I decided to separate the de-alates that I had collected into four different test tubes, based on their interactions with one another. I will keep a close eye on them though. They are organized as follows :

1. 5 de-alates (at least 2 queens)

2. 4 de-alates (two queens, two kings)

3. 3 de-alates (undetermined, but at least one queen)

4. 2 dealates (king and queen)

#3 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 27 2017 - 12:33 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I just realized that you posted this. Thanks for the 3 dealate colony!

1.If I'm correct, most subterranean termites will have numerous reproductives (normally multiple kings, but sometimes multiple queens)

2.Termite de-alates are very fragile. It is possible that one bit another due to a mistaken act of aggression (like Stigmatomma, some individuals don't take the time to read pheromonal cues).

3.I use test tubes, with a piece of cardboard as food. Same setup as yours :)

I know that these answers are late, but it may help another termite-keeper.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes