• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Edmonton, Alberta, Sturgeon County, Canada 24/05/2017

ant queen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline shellbertt - Posted May 24 2017 - 8:33 PM

shellbertt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I am posting to find out the specific type (species? genera? family?) of ant queen I have, I have two that are exactly identical and want to specifically find out if they are claustral, semi claustral etc, and if they are polygamous or not?

1. Location of collection: Edmonton, Alberta, Sturgeon County, Canada. On a gravel road near my house/In walking over a freshly placed pile of topsoil in my backyard.
2. Date of collection: 22/05/2017
3. Habitat of collection: Prairie?
4. Length (from head to gaster): a little under 2 cm, maybe 17 mm, about 5/8 of an inch
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: straight black as far as I can tell.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Larger than other ants about and has noticeable wing muscles and wing scars.
7. Distinguishing behavior: none
8. Nest description: none

[Images of ant]

I can't upload images for some reason so here is an imgur link.

http://imgur.com/a/47MM6

[Images of nest]

[Images of habitat]

#2 Offline dermy - Posted May 24 2017 - 11:04 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Cool. Another Canadian! It looks like a Camponotus queen to me [probably Camponotus herculeanus]

They are really slow growing, but worth it once they get Majors. They also have really nice brood, easy to distinguish between the life stages!

As far as the Images go, use the [IMG] code that imgur gives you and it will show up in your post, Either way nice pictures :D

Welcome to the forum!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users