• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

McDonald, OH, USA - 5/18/2017 (Lots of pics)

Best Answer Nathant2131 , May 18 2017 - 12:54 PM

Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hikari - Posted May 18 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

I'm new at this, and this is my first ant catch, so I hope y'all can help me make a positive ID. I'd like to know if I snagged a queen (I think I did?), and from some Googling I'm pretty sure it's Camponotus, but I'm not sure which kind.

1. Location of collection: McDonald, Ohio (in NE part of the state), found on porch.

2. Date of collection: 5/18/2017, around 1am

3. Habitat of collection: Yard has grass and small wooded areas.

4. Length (from head to gaster): 17 mm

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Shiny black, with gold hairs and shiny gold stripes on gaster in the light.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: BIG. (Sorry, new and not very good at this. See pics)

7. Distinguishing behavior: Very gentle. Held her in my hand with no biting before I managed to get her into a collection container. Didn't like test tube at first, chewed at cotton. Settled down quickly in the dark though.

8. Nest description: N/A, was found wandering alone on wooden porch.

Pictures were taken under a natural light lamp with magnifier to try and help since my phone camera is pretty bad. Hope they're good enough.

IMAG1728.jpg

IMAG1727.jpg

IMAG1723.jpg

IMAG1717.jpg

IMAG1716.jpg

IMAG1713.jpg

IMAG1712.jpg

IMAG1711.jpg

#2 Offline Spamdy - Posted May 18 2017 - 12:47 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Camponotus pennyslavicus is my guess, your test tube is too small btw.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#3 Offline Hikari - Posted May 18 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to get a bigger tube. I wasn't expecting to catch such a massive ant when I did, lol. Wasn't prepared at all. They sell "treat tubes" at the craft store for candy that are wider and will make a more suitable home for this girl, since I can't seem to find a local place that sells normal test tubes. Wanted to make sure it was a queen before running out and grabbing them, although I guess they'd be good to have on-hand regardless.

Edited by Hikari, May 18 2017 - 1:00 PM.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 18 2017 - 12:54 PM   Best Answer

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen.

Edited by Nathant2131, May 21 2017 - 6:41 AM.

#5 Offline Hikari - Posted May 18 2017 - 1:20 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Thanks for the ID! I'm heading out to get her some new tubes. I hope things go well. I've heard this type of ant takes a while to get established, but I'm patient. If anything, gives me more time to plan everything out.

#6 Offline BMM - Posted May 18 2017 - 3:24 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

It might be the lighting, but the legs look red in a few of those pictures. If that's the case, this could be Camponotus chromaiodes.

#7 Offline Hikari - Posted May 18 2017 - 4:52 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

I double-checked, and I don't see any red on her. Might just be the lighting, it's super bright, possibly shining through her tiny legs?. In normal room lighting, she's solid black save for the tiny gold bands.

Also, I found new, much bigger glass test tubes, so she'll be much happier (my local Michael's had them for $1 each...who knew?). Plenty of space for her and her future brood/workers, but not TOO much room, since she needs to be closed in. Anyways, she wasn't happy being moved (again), so I'm going to leave her be as much as possible now that I know she's taken care of. She's my first queen, so I really want her to pull through for me. I'll check her in a few days now that she's settled in for the long haul.

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 18 2017 - 5:51 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

As long as she can turn around, the tube should be fine.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline Antking117 - Posted May 19 2017 - 2:56 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I double-checked, and I don't see any red on her. Might just be the lighting, it's super bright, possibly shining through her tiny legs?. In normal room lighting, she's solid black save for the tiny gold bands.

Also, I found new, much bigger glass test tubes, so she'll be much happier (my local Michael's had them for $1 each...who knew?). Plenty of space for her and her future brood/workers, but not TOO much room, since she needs to be closed in. Anyways, she wasn't happy being moved (again), so I'm going to leave her be as much as possible now that I know she's taken care of. She's my first queen, so I really want her to pull through for me. I'll check her in a few days now that she's settled in for the long haul.

http://www.formicult...ide/#entry25326

#10 Offline Hikari - Posted May 19 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Oh, wow, thanks for the link! I don't know yet if I'll make or purchase a bigger formicarium if/when I make it that far, but this'll be good for research. I'm sure the other links will be useful as well.

Edited by Hikari, May 19 2017 - 11:27 PM.

#11 Offline Antking117 - Posted May 19 2017 - 11:27 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Oh, wow, thanks for the link! I don't know yet if I'll make or purchase a bigger formicarium if/when I make it that far, but this'll be good for research. I'm sure the other links will be useful as well.

check out the prices of the lcm lab test tubes.. highly recommended.

#12 Offline Hikari - Posted May 20 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Oh, woooow, that's cheap, lol. I'll definitely keep them in mind if I need more. As of right now, I have three extra I bought on-hand. Not sure if I'll even need those. It'll depend on how my queen-hunts go. The temps dipped down again after a thunderstorm blew through, but I'm hoping maybe something will fly in a few days once it warms up again. I hate Ohio...the weather is so crazy. I also have a few rotting logs I've spotted in my backyard I plan on keeping an eye out on, and might try tearing up a few bits to see what I find. I know there are more Camponotus around here SOMEWHERE cause I've seen two or three sneaking into the house again, lol. Always happens when it gets cold and wet outside. Hilarious that we have ant traps around the house, and I'm keeping one as a pet. :rolleyes:

#13 Offline PKnaak - Posted May 21 2017 - 11:13 AM

PKnaak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

What size test tube is ideal for this Queen. I believe I have 3 of these. They have laid their eggs this spring, and have the nanatecs from last fall. I believe the setup I have them in is good but want a second opinion. Thank you

#14 Offline Hikari - Posted May 22 2017 - 6:46 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

From what Batspiderfish told me in this thread, as long as she can turn around, she'll be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users