• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

lepisiota sp?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted May 18 2017 - 11:16 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hello I'm interested in Lepisiota I'm unable to find info on it on the web (well very little) if anyone could tell me something about lepisiota frauenfeldi and lepisiota nigra ? But if not lepisiota in general would be fine.

Thanks !

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted May 18 2017 - 1:20 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I am also very interested in this genus but as you say there isn't almost any info about them. I've seen L. frauenfeldi in Greece and I was surprised how small they are. So yeah that's about what I can say about them and I also highly suspect that they reproduce by budding and send only males on nuptial flights to mate whit queens inside other nests.

Sadly I can't find the video I wanted to show you about Cretan ants, where the nuptial flight of some species of Lepisiota is shown.

Edited by Jonathan21700, May 18 2017 - 1:20 PM.

#3 Offline NikolaBale - Posted May 18 2017 - 2:38 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I am also very interested in this genus but as you say there isn't almost any info about them. I've seen L. frauenfeldi in Greece and I was surprised how small they are. So yeah that's about what I can say about them and I also highly suspect that they reproduce by budding and send only males on nuptial flights to mate whit queens inside other nests.
Sadly I can't find the video I wanted to show you about Cretan ants, where the nuptial flight of some species of Lepisiota is shown.

No worry man most people that i asked didn't know anything.I only know that they reproduce rly fast and that they are called ant eater ants because they are very aggressive towards other species.To be honest i got a interest in them because they share a lot of similarities whit paratrechina longicornis (black crazy ant) which is my dream ant and i was thrilled when i found out about this genus specifically lepisiota frauenfeldi because they are native ants here where i live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users