• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A good day for anting!

solenopsis pheidole dealate queen anting test tube rain drone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 2 2017 - 3:28 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Two nights ago, it rained for the first time in a couple of weeks. I found a Pheidole sp. dealate on my 30 second walk through the parking lot to work this morning, and found 4 Solenopsis invicta dealates on a 40 minute walk through my neighborhood after work. The sidewalk was littered with dead fire ant drones. I probably could have found plenty more, but I am really not that into keeping Solenopsis! The one closest to the camera is injured, as I accidentally smashed her gaster. She has a small rent in the side of her gaster with a little bit of something hanging out... Poor girl. I am still learning how to catch queens efficiently and without harming them, though I think I am getting it down now.

20170502 Dealates

• fortysixandtwo likes this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 2 2017 - 5:09 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

How do Pheidole fly so early for you guys? They don't fly in PA until July!

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted May 6 2017 - 1:28 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Lol, in the Gulf States, Pheidole are almost like Solenopsis invicta. They will fly from like March-October if the conditions are right.

YJK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis, pheidole, dealate, queen, anting, test, tube, rain, drone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users