• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(Tutorial) Getting issues over ant keeping?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted April 18 2017 - 4:09 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
When ant hunting, observing, and capturing are you sick of being stared at? Pointed at? Given funny looks, or people asking if you are ok? Well, I am and I have seen others with the very same issues. Well, no worries... the following tutorial will teach you how to avoid ant keeping discrimination all together.

There is several different methods of going about observing or picking up ants without people thinking you need a doctor. Please view the following steps to avoid wierd looks, staring, pointing, and good stuff like that.

OPTION #1: ( Got a dog? )This is my personal favorite and the most used. Having your dog with you and bending down doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. It's a great way to slip them ants in your pocket because people assume you merely dropped a dog treat and wish to retrieve it or that your dog found something and you would like to take It home. If you don't own a dog, then perhaps option two is best for you! Please read on.

OPTION #2: (Another use of money) Although this option is not all that ideal, and may cause people to think you are a clutz.... a pocket or bag of loose change is the answer. When you have found your favorite anting spot, simply dump the change all over the ground in a "accident" like manner. Then bend down and retrieve the money, and the ants as well. No one will think anything of it! (Take note: If anyone offers to help clean it up, which as you know would ruin your ant grabbing efforts. Simply telling them you do not "trust them" will result in them completely leaving you and your ant search burdenless.)

OPTION #3: (The dumb card) If you happen to be dogless, and changeless, perhaps due to a unexpected finding and can't resist to pick it up, then this method is for you. If for example your at work or just chatting with your buddies, and you spot a queen ant. Look at it giving funny looks. Then proceed to pick it up, as your viewers watch. Here is the tricky part. Making up some crazy random story about it and why you need to put it in a test tube that coincidentally just happened to be in your back pocket. The following are some great lines that the average person that nows nothing on the matter may buy into.

" Wow, I read in biology this is some sort of endangered bug and worth money if people find them."

OR

Hah! I know this crazy guy who will pay for these big looking ants. I don't know why, but I am just interested in the cash! Well, I am just going to have to hang onto this. It isn't a beetle right?"

OPTION #4: (I don't care!) If you have already married and don't care what others are thinking of you, then just pick it up and full blown out say, "I want this bug as a pet! And Love it or hate it's going home with me." This is straight to the point and you won't feel the need to hide anything.

Using any one of these methods will surely help you avoid such issues in this hobby!
  • Martialis, Nathant2131, Jelly and 2 others like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 18 2017 - 5:07 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I have pretty much mastered option #4 lol.

• noebl1, Martialis, Aaron567 and 3 others like this

#3 Offline Antking117 - Posted April 18 2017 - 11:17 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Yeah i don't care lol, just say yeah I collect ants, its cool you should try. Most people just say that is cool and want to know more.. I have not had anyone really be rude or laugh at me. Most think it is awesome.

• ctantkeeper and OmniusClone like this

#4 Offline OmniusClone - Posted April 19 2017 - 3:30 AM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
I'm with antking117 on this one. I've received many strange looks, and I'm pretty sure one guy thought I was trying to case his house... O_o
But for the most part if anyone actually decides to talk to me, it's usually pretty positive. I even got to talking with a very nice lady who pointed me towards another area in town to check out. :)
  • ctantkeeper likes this

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 19 2017 - 3:43 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yeah, usually interactions with others are quite positive. I often receive many awkward stares, but rarely any negative comments. In order to prevent others from thinking the worst (drug trafficking, murder, etc.), I usually introduce myself and tell them either that I am collecting insects for a school project or that I am working for a larger organization that specializes in studying wildlife and ecology. Most of the time however, I am usually pretty honest with people. I often get weird and unusual questions such as : " what do you do after you raise the ants into a colony? what's the point?" or "Why would you raise ants? dogs and cats are clearly the superior pet option. My dog gives me love and affection while your ants give you nothing.". People are weird.... excuse me while I tend to my ants which I willingly and openly keep in my house (specifically my bedroom) lol.

Edited by ctantkeeper, April 19 2017 - 3:45 AM.

#6 Offline Phoenix - Posted April 19 2017 - 3:48 AM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

^ The school project excuse works pretty well, surprisingly.

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 19 2017 - 4:09 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

(deleted message)

Edited by ctantkeeper, April 19 2017 - 4:23 AM.

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 19 2017 - 4:14 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I was way up In New Hanpshire last weekend in this really quite neighborhood while carrying around cotton balls and test tubes. I think this guy walking mistook them for drug paraphernalia, because the look he gave me was not pretty.

#9 Offline BMM - Posted April 19 2017 - 6:43 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I usually just tell anyone who asks that I study insects. Throwing around a few species names is usually convincing enough.

#10 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2017 - 6:52 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Option #4. I simply don't care what others think of me. I'm a grown man collecting insects. If you have an issue or see it any way other then interesting, well you're not someone i wanna know anyway. Bugs are awesome.

• T.C. likes this

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted April 19 2017 - 7:08 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Option #4. I simply don't care what others think of me. I'm a grown man collecting insects. If you have an issue or see it any way other then interesting, well you're not someone i wanna know anyway. Bugs are awesome.

For me it depends on who I am with. I am not really going to get on the ground in front of some girl I just met and start picking up bugs. At least I would like them to get to know me first and know why I am doing that. However if it's strangers, then I couldn't care less. Actually, scorpions and tarantulas are fairly common pets, so for some reason if you have one of those arachnids with them, people won't think nothing of it if you are adding ants to the collection.

#12 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 19 2017 - 8:37 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

For me it depends on who I am with. I am not really going to get on the ground in front of some girl I just met and start picking up bugs. At least I would like them to get to know me first and know why I am doing that. However if it's strangers, then I couldn't care less. Actually, scorpions and tarantulas are fairly common pets, so for some reason if you have one of those arachnids with them, people won't think nothing of it if you are adding ants to the collection.

Nope, if i were chillen with a girl and saw something worth collecting, i would start collecting. I would immediately know she's the one if she starts looking without asking why. If she doesnt care for it and has any issue, then she's not right for me. You don't bend or change for someone just to impress them.

Besides, if she's used to finding small things, it could make your future a little less disappointing =D With bugs that is.

#13 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted April 19 2017 - 9:12 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I'm option 4

but i think ill get in worse trouble then everyone else. The roads here are very bad and can easily hide insects. However if you go to the police station and look on the driveway and sidewalk they are white and easy to see bugs on. So if they look outside they see a guy on his hands and feet with test tubes staring at the sidewalk/driveways.

Edited by MichiganAnts, April 19 2017 - 9:13 AM.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#14 Offline Californian Anter - Posted April 19 2017 - 1:33 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I'm kind of option 4 also. When I see a queen, I pick it up and pretend to drop it down my friend's neck but I still keep it in my hand. Later,  I put it into a test tube to take home.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted April 19 2017 - 1:42 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I'm kind of option 4 also. When I see a queen, I pick it up and pretend to drop it down my friend's neck but I still keep it in my hand. Later,  I put it into a test tube to take home.

Then, that wouldn't be option 4.... because you are pretending you don't care about it and just want to joke around with it. You are hiding the fact that you want that ant as a pet. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users