• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Lasius sp.2 Journal [199] (Discontinued)

dspdrew journal lasius

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 14 2014 - 12:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
9-13-2014

On the evening of 8-27-2014 I found a few of these Lasius sp. dealates up near San Antonio Falls by Mt. Baldy, California. Later that night I found more dealates and alates in Ice House Canyon, just a little ways from there.

med_gallery_2_247_129316.jpg

med_gallery_2_247_95324.jpg

med_gallery_2_247_264306.jpg

Since this and another Lasius sp. I found up there were obviously parasitic, I immediately started coming up with a plan to get some workers for them. It took a week, but I finally obtained some of what should be Lasius crypticus. I chilled some of these workers and introduced them to a few of the queens. At first they pulled on their legs and acted aggressive toward them, but after a little while, they were all getting along fine.

med_gallery_2_247_211659.jpg

Another week went by, and I came across a ton of Lasius pupae and workers of a smaller, darker species, along with some workers from a larger yellowish-orange species.

med_gallery_2_245_883744.jpg

med_gallery_2_245_885879.jpg

med_gallery_2_247_402677.jpg

med_gallery_2_250_188862.jpg

med_gallery_2_250_116596.jpg

I introduced a bunch of these pupae to the queens with the L. crypticus workers, and gave two more queens some of these pupae as well as some callow workers too.

After a few days it started to look like the L. crypticus workers just weren't caring for these pupae at all. I left them alone for a while longer, and it looks like some might possibly be taking care of some of the pupae now, but I'm really not sure. In the time that their own sisters helped a whole bunch of them eclose in the tube I had them stored in, not a single one eclosed that was in with the L. crypticus workers.

The two queens that I put the pupae and their callow worker sisters in with are getting along with all of them really well, and those workers are obviously taking good care of the brood too. I did notice there were quite a few males eclosing from some of these cocoons, but I managed to pull some of them out.

med_gallery_2_247_247470.jpg

med_gallery_2_247_191066.jpg

med_gallery_2_247_286581.jpg

I took four more queens and gave them some of the larger, yellowish-orange Lasius sp. workers I found. I chilled them for a bit in the fridge, and when I took them out, a lot of the workers were dead. I added a few more to make up for the dead ones, and eventually they all seemed to be getting along okay with these queens.

med_gallery_2_247_171607.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2014 - 11:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-15-2014

A bunch of these have died. I still have one of these queens with three Lasius crypticus workers, and two with large amounts of the smaller black Lasius sp. that I found later.

I moved all of these into small foraging containers and put them in hibernation a week ago.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 16 2015 - 12:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 1-16-2015

I just took these out of hibernation, and two of the queens were dead, leaving just one of the queens with the dark species of Lasius workers. They have a little pile of very small larvae. If I remember right, I think the workers I introduced to her had small larvae with them at the time, so I'm pretty sure that's what these larvae are. I moved the colony into a regular sized foraging container and gave them a liquid feeder with humming bird nectar. I also gave them a small cricket.

med_gallery_2_247_796208.jpg

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 6 2015 - 8:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-6-2015

Well it looks like this queen is most likely fertile. She laid a bunch of eggs a little while ago, and now I can tell they're starting to turn to larvae.

med_gallery_2_247_373037.jpg

med_gallery_2_247_26235.jpg
  • Gregory2455 likes this

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 17 2015 - 3:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-17-2015

First they ate all of the new eggs, and now the queen is dead.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 7 2022 - 4:51 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I know this is an extremely old thread, but I strongly believe this queen to be lasius coloradensis. The species is known for having very dark queens that often appear to be completely black at first glance, which distinguishes them from other acanthomyops species. If it is indeed coloradensis, this would be the only images of a queen that we know of, alive or dead.

Edited by Manitobant, January 7 2022 - 4:53 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 7 2022 - 5:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

This is the same species in my journal I think.

I will do my very best to raise them to workers, so they can be definitively ID.

When you are just collecting them outside, they appear very shiny black, but under light in captivity, they definitely appear less so.

They are certainly nowhere near uncommon in the place I found them; they were EVERYWHERE in the days afterward, perhaps it is a locally abundant species.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users