• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Los Angeles, CA 4/3/17

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Last_Hop3 - Posted April 3 2017 - 1:41 AM

Last_Hop3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationEl Centro, CA

I was able to catch 5 of these, but I'm unsure of their genus and if they are in fact Queens. I've done a bit of research, and I think they might be Argentine ants, since the only ants around my house/neighborhood are small and brown. Two of them had wings when I caught them and later on shed them. The rest of them I caught wingless, but wings were close by.

1. Location of collection: My backyard
2. Date of collection: 3/29/17
3. Habitat of collection: House window mesh screens
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5-6mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark Brown

W2brVdo.pngm3JZqkw.pngjWjyzrp.pngCEwa47z.png

• thosaka likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 3 2017 - 1:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Male and female dealate subterranean termites.

termitevsant.jpg

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 3 2017 - 7:51 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Ugh, we just had our house treated for them...only a year after we had our house tented for the other kind!

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 3 2017 - 9:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I could be wrong, but i thought these weren't really a problem around here. I thought it was mainly Drywood termites that eat people's houses in So Cal.

#5 Offline Last_Hop3 - Posted April 3 2017 - 2:08 PM

Last_Hop3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationEl Centro, CA

Bummer. Was really hoping to catch my first ant queens. There has been new small ant hills in my backyard, so I thought maybe these where ant queens.

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 3 2017 - 2:44 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Subs can do a good bit of damage if given the opportunity

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted April 3 2017 - 4:40 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Not to get too off topic, but aren't Formosan termites invasive? How far have they invaded?

Spoiler

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted April 3 2017 - 5:02 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Keep those termites and pair them up - they will be useful in the future for ant food.

• Martialis likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#9 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 3 2017 - 5:16 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

I could be wrong, but i thought these weren't really a problem around here. I thought it was mainly Drywood termites that eat people's houses in So Cal.

We're lucky here in SoCal cuz we get both kinds, I've learned unfortunately from experience. First we had dry wood which we tented for and a few months ago, my wife noticed termites again in my son's room. But this time they were different cuz they were building a mud hive that started to protrude out.

I called the examinators and was like wtf...I thought we were covered for like 8-10 years. They said unfortunately tenting doesn't work on sub termites cuz they just go deeper during the tenting. They have to lay out bait in the ground all over your property.

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 3 2017 - 5:47 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Ground baiting for termites is generally pretty useless no matter what the company tells you. It is a lot like putting out mothballs to repel snakes, it make you feel good and lightens your wallet.

Edited by gcsnelling, April 3 2017 - 5:49 PM.

#11 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 3 2017 - 5:53 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Well they dumped like 20 gallons of pesticide in their hive too. The ground baiting was more preventative.

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 3 2017 - 6:16 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

It is unlikely they were actually able to treat the actual colony, what they actually ultimately were doing was putting a chemical barrier around the structure. If the company told you they were treating the actual colony they were full of it. Some termiticides are capable of being transported back to the nest and spread to other termites on the bodies of foraging works, this does depend on the chemical used. .The termite forages are known to travel a fair distance to forage and the colony could even be across the street.

Edited by gcsnelling, April 3 2017 - 6:18 PM.

#13 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 15 2017 - 11:40 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Those are termites? I see those all the time, one I saw one with wings and then the wings just broke off right in front of me. Do termites have queens or.......

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users