• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

byFormica Mausoleum (Bug Box Successor?) "Easily keep bugs from being dragged into the nest"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 8 2016 - 4:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

My goal with the bug box is to create a beautiful box for observing and photographing ants eating insects, while also serving the purpose of keeping large insect pieces from being carried into the nest.

After working on the original design, which consisted of a 3D-printed platform/pedestal where a small injection-molded box could be fitted into place, I realized today that maybe there was an alternative—somewhat of a micro-GlassBox foraging area—complete with contrasting mirror-white floor and translucent backsplash for isolating the action.

Here is the 2-inch long prototype I came up with (more details, below):

The lid is the only removable piece.  Larger insects are placed inside the box, and the lid is placed back on.  The ants find their way through the jail-cell style walls on either of the short sides, leaving the front and top views completely unobstructed for close-up filming and observing.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 8 2016 - 5:27 PM.

• ctantkeeper, Kevin and cazantyl like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline cazantyl - Posted December 8 2016 - 4:47 PM

cazantyl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

That looks pretty neat. Would adding a lip to the hole opening discourage the ants from yanking larger parts out? If they had to climb up a slight shelf into the enclosure through the holes to get in and out? 

What laser cutter do you use? I've been considering taking the plunge on one for awhile now.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted December 8 2016 - 4:54 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

This looks awesome!

Will there be an XL version? That thing is like 5cm long, that's a bit more than twice the size of my majors, I doubt they fit through the slits :D

Edited by Serafine, December 8 2016 - 5:01 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 8 2016 - 5:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This looks awesome!

Will there be an XL version? That thing is like 5cm long, that's a bit more than twice the size of my majors, I doubt they fit through the slits :D

Some larger Camponotus sp. majors (excluding C. gigas) have a head capsule width of about just shy of 3 mm; and so if these were holes, those ants could not fit through.  But they are not holes, and are instead 2 mm wide slots.  Because the head capsule is wider than it is tall (to accommodate the muscles for mandibles), those same ants may orient their head sideways in order to pass through.

My analysis is based on C. pennsylvanicus, where major workers had a maximum head capsule width of 2.8 mm, and minors averaged about 1.6 mm width.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 8 2016 - 5:49 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted December 8 2016 - 5:54 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, I'll just try when they come in stock for Europe. I guess if there's any issues I can still cut out one of the bars.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 10 2016 - 6:56 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm currently looking at the possibility of incorporating some sort of swappable plastic inserts that act as filters.  Several filters/inserts may be included with the kits to fit a variety of use cases, including closed inserts for when an insect needs to be contained to the small space for photography.

Not only do the filters allow different sized ants into the box, but it also restricts the maximum particle size that can be removed from the box intact.

1.5 mm round filters are shown below:

Edited by drtrmiller, December 10 2016 - 7:16 PM.

• benjiwuf and noebl1 like this

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 10 2016 - 7:10 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Swappable filters is a great idea; adjust the size to the ants you keep.

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted December 17 2016 - 1:54 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Modular design is always great. Is this a mealworm or a superworm?

#9 Offline XZero38 - Posted January 3 2017 - 9:21 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Modular design is always great. Is this a mealworm or a superworm?

that is a mealworm, superworms are much darker and larger

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 3 2017 - 9:23 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Sorry, it's a small waxworm moth larva.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 3 2017 - 9:23 AM.

#11 Offline XZero38 - Posted January 3 2017 - 9:31 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Sorry, it's a small waxworm moth larva.

i stand corrected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users