• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

117 Colonies & Ant Farms Official Hello

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 5 2016 - 6:44 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Hello guys. I just wanted to put a small introduction out on behalf of my company/project.

First off, I would like to thank everyone for the encouragement and help I received to make this possible. Its nothing huge, but it is a fun journey for myself.  I plan on taking this little project of mine as far as I can. 

117 Colonies : About Me

117 Colonies & Ants Farms is an Artisan Ant keeping company aimed to provide Formicariums and Insect Habitats, as well as collection devices and bug gear. Creating a clean, natural environment while allowing full visibility and interaction with your critters of various size and species. We have starter packs such as the 117 Callow Nest providing a full set of ant keeping gear, or collection devices such as the Aardvark allowing the everyday hobbyist to collect insects with minimal damage and loss.

Here at 117 Colonies, we are continually researching and developing new and useful applications to allow you to really enjoy your hobby. Started by Ryan Hubbard in early 2016 with the 117 Hotel and selling to local ant keepers, he found that he had a knack for creating ant nests. Having a long history with critter keeping and attending to all needs as well a background in Architectural and Mechanical Design, creating habitats came as 2nd nature and it shows with the success of every colony or creature in a 117 Habitat.

Our goal is to provide any and all hobbyist a jumpstart in to the myrmecology and entomology world. We are an active member in the Ant keeping social media scene, as well as local myrmecology and entomology groups with uploading and sharing media of various species, as well as promoting safe, healthy keeping of all creatures. We are also a proud member of the GAN (Global Ant Nursery) project promoting the pet ant keeping hobby, and habitat conservation. We provide useful information such as collecting, keeping, and culturing ants and insects alike. Detailed information on identifying your own species of ants, and even creating your own DIY nest and Outworld.

We provide a full range of outworlds and nests when we have them available.

117 Colonies also has a Build your own section were hobbyist can request a setup built to their specific requirements. Here you can ask for any size outworld and nest, as well as any particular theme you may like. You can find this under Collection > Build your own.

Thank you.

Loops.

http://www.117colonies.com

• drtrmiller, Kevin and AntsBrazil like this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted December 5 2016 - 9:01 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

This user is ripping people off. Do not buy from him/her. They continue to accept money but do not send formicariums out. See the link below on recent posts about people getting ripped off.

http://www.formiculture.com/topic/8170-117-colonies-ant-farms-no-delivery-after-8-months/page-5#entry90118

Edited by T.C., May 3 2018 - 5:05 PM.

• Loops117, Kevin and ColKurtz like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 5 2016 - 9:27 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Thank you TC. You've been a big help when it comes to getting this thing going.

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted December 5 2016 - 9:44 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I can also say from just pictures and hearing from Air (Ice), I confirm that Loops's products are high quality. From what I've seen, crystal clear acrylic and high resolution 3D prints go into these formicaira. I would recommend anyone looking for an acrylic or plastic nest to come here, over AntsCanada or AntKit. 

• Loops117 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 5 2016 - 1:20 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I can also say from just pictures and hearing from Air (Ice), I confirm that Loops's products are high quality. From what I've seen, crystal clear acrylic and high resolution 3D prints go into these formicaira. I would recommend anyone looking for an acrylic or plastic nest to come here, over AntsCanada or AntKit.

Definitely. Air has shown us that her floridanus is loving it. This store is a innovative new ant shop that (I can just tell) spends a lot of time and research into these nests. Well done

YJK

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted December 5 2016 - 6:30 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

[deleted]

Edited by T.C., April 27 2018 - 8:01 PM.

#7 Offline Air - Posted February 15 2017 - 4:41 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Coming from someone who has bought something from Loops, and will be buying many more his formicariums are some of the highest quality formicariums I have ever seen. They make antscanadas acrylic nests look like mediocre stuff. My floridanus felt at home in their nest, and decided to make it a permanent home and start producing alates. If you want something that's crystal clear, and looks like there's nothing there you should definitely buy from him.   

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#8 Offline Antking117 - Posted February 20 2017 - 12:37 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I wish there was pictures to go with each option of size formicarium for design, also maybe more customized size of out-world? (pick your own dimensions). Otherwise cool custom option.

#9 Offline RayBuc - Posted January 12 2018 - 11:00 AM

RayBuc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Northern Michigan, USA

Great to know where I can get queens in my state! I'm not fond of the nests offered, but I will probably contact you for queens later this year... Too bad you don't offer Camponotus noveboracensis :( I guess I will have to make due

#10 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 12 2018 - 12:33 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

My sp list changes throughout the year.

Also, it's ok that you're not interested. I'm currently trying to catch up on some back orders i've had since august =O

#11 Offline PupHadrian - Posted February 11 2018 - 11:31 AM

PupHadrian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPort Huron, MI United States of America
I actually have a few questions, I'd like to keep carpenter ants, since I'm visually impaired and they're the biggest native species, I can actually see them without using extreme magnification. I'm hoping to collect a few queens come nuptial flights and hopefully start two colonies. I've been looking for the habitats best suited to them since I have found they need a heat source and some humidity?

Could I send you an email or something asking for a custom nest and outworld to be made for carpenter ants? I have only had experience with ant farms as a kid, the little flimsy ones they escaped easily, or if I bumped it, they'd get caved in. I'm not sure how big they need for an area. I've been looking into a few companies and I really like yours, I was hoping you had some carpenter ant colonies, just in case I can't catch any queens.

#12 Offline Icyshadowz - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:37 PM

Icyshadowz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Loops I ordered some nests yesterday are you still on massive back order? I never received a confirmation email either. It just says order processing.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh boy...

• T.C. and ColKurtz like this

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:54 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Loops I ordered some nests yesterday are you still on massive back order? I never received a confirmation email either. It just says order processing.

What did you pay with? Get your money back now.

• Enderz and ColKurtz like this

#15 Offline Enderz - Posted April 27 2018 - 8:03 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Well looks like someone jumped on the crazy carousel again. I feel like loops is just keeping the site up to suck people's money in.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#16 Offline Icyshadowz - Posted April 27 2018 - 8:22 PM

Icyshadowz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I used paypal no worries just sad its for my son and i found his site first. Found a few good reviews on them placed the order. Got concerned when i never got a email confirm. Started googling around found this site found more good then found the really bad one :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users