• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Photographing live ant specimens

photographing pictures

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 21 2014 - 12:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have found a pretty good way to get decent photos of live ant specimens. I just found the smallest crystal clear plastic box I could at the Container Store here in the States. I glued some black felt in the bottom of it so the ants could keep from sliding around when positioning it.

gallery_2_137_103705.jpg

I just put the ant in the box and wait for it to finally calm down and stand still. After this, I can usually move the box around to get pictures at any angle I want.

#2 Offline casualfriday - Posted June 27 2014 - 12:07 PM

casualfriday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

That's not a bad idea. Might have to try that.

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted June 27 2014 - 6:04 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Haha, too bad you can't just cool them down like I can. =)

I just pop them in the fridge for a few minutes and snap pictures.

(PLEASE DON'T DO THIS IF YOU LIVE IN WARMER CLIMATES WHERE ANTS DON'T HIBERNATE)

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2014 - 6:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You can cool them down where I am, and we live in warmer climate; I do it sometimes. There are plenty times through out the year here where it gets quite a few degrees below freezing. Now if you're talking about some place in the tropics, then okay, yeah haha.

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted June 27 2014 - 6:40 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

If you live in a climate where it freezes, you do not live in a warmer climate in my books. xD

Wouldn't they hibernate if the temp goes below freezing?

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 28 2014 - 9:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If we go below freezing, it's normally only for a few hours out of the day, and usually only lasts a few days or possibly a couple weeks. I think a lot of people would disagree with you about the climate of Southern California haha.

• cpman likes this

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted June 28 2014 - 9:29 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

So I'd still need a jacket to live in Cali? I might have to rethink moving there.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 28 2014 - 9:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yup. There are times when you need one. :)

#9 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 7 2014 - 9:19 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Was below zero here for like 3 months this past winter. :/ lmao....
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 7 2014 - 1:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No thanks.

#11 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 1 2014 - 6:53 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

It does get freaking cold over the winter here in the desert which explains why we had those Acromyrmex for over a month alive inside the refridgerator.

Edited by Anhzor, August 2 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#12 Offline cpman - Posted June 30 2017 - 12:14 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Wouldn't they hibernate if the temp goes below freezing?

Not necessarily. We get below freezing something like 15 or 20 times a year here in Central Texas, and some of our ants don't hibernate (mostly imported ones like Solenopsis invicta, but a handful of natives too). It's not below freezing for very long, the freezes we do have aren't super cold, and there are a good number of days over 70 degrees in the winter.

On many winter days, you do see ants out and about -- not as many as you would on a day in the rest of the year, but it's not insignificant.

Edited by cpman, June 30 2017 - 12:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photographing, pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users