• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greetings, from Delaware!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WalkerNom - Posted September 19 2016 - 10:37 AM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

Hello I'm Amber and I live in Delaware (I'd be super surprised if there's anyone here from my state!).  

I have been fascinated with animals, insects, and arachnids for about as long as I can remember.

I was introduced into this hobby by watching Leopard Gecko's and AntsCanada's videos on YouTube.  Both made the hobby seem super interesting so now here I am lol just waiting on some test tubes of my own.  However, it seems I'm too late for catching any queens this year.  Though I still plan on going out and giving it a shot.

In the meantime I guess I'll just observe the countless Odorous House Ants that have taken up residence in my house.

I'm still very new so I look forward to meeting you all and hope to learn everything I can about the hobby :)

7JyD1cl.png

[ Lasius Neoniger Journal (Ended) ]

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted September 19 2016 - 4:34 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Welcome!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 19 2016 - 6:26 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Hello I'm Amber and I live in Delaware (I'd be super surprised if there's anyone here from my state!).  

I have been fascinated with animals, insects, and arachnids for about as long as I can remember.

I was introduced into this hobby by watching Leopard Gecko's and AntsCanada's videos on YouTube.  Both made the hobby seem super interesting so now here I am lol just waiting on some test tubes of my own.  However, it seems I'm too late for catching any queens this year.  Though I still plan on going out and giving it a shot.

In the meantime I guess I'll just observe the countless Odorous House Ants that have taken up residence in my house.

I'm still very new so I look forward to meeting you all and hope to learn everything I can about the hobby :)

While you are getting started at the very end of the nuptial flight season, you are not too late for nuptial flights. My friend in Vermont witnessed a Myrmica sp. flight a couple of days ago. If you're lucky you should be able to find Myrmica spp. and Lasius spp. at the very least. If you don't catch anything this year I wouldn't sweat it. I only caught one Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen my first year of keeping ants. Good luck!

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline WalkerNom - Posted September 20 2016 - 3:08 AM

WalkerNom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDelaware, USA

@Subverted - Thank you! c:

@Mdrogun - Thank you, I've heard that from a few people already.  I'll have to get out and see what I can find!

7JyD1cl.png

[ Lasius Neoniger Journal (Ended) ]

#5 Offline gsparrow - Posted May 13 2019 - 2:58 PM

gsparrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, Delaware

Hi Amber,

I'm also in Delaware.  From what I see there are a few people from the state on various ant forums.  Are you still an active member?  Have colonies?  

I caught a Camponotus pennsylvanicus a few weeks ago and the last I checked on her, the other day, she had 5 eggs.

Also, have you seen nuptial flights?  I'm interested in figuring out when each species typically fly here in Delaware.

Edited by gsparrow, May 13 2019 - 3:00 PM.

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted May 13 2019 - 3:30 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Hi Amber,

I'm also in Delaware.  From what I see there are a few people from the state on various ant forums.  Are you still an active member?  Have colonies?  

I caught a Camponotus pennsylvanicus a few weeks ago and the last I checked on her, the other day, she had 5 eggs.

Also, have you seen nuptial flights?  I'm interested in figuring out when each species typically fly here in Delaware.

Dude this is a 3 year old post. :) She hasn't logged in in a year. :)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users