• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

byFormica "Moo Moo" Test Tube Bank

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 6 2015 - 9:23 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

"Moo Moo" Test Tube Bank

The byFormica "Moo Moo" Test Tube Bank is for the 90% of antkeepers who continue to use affordable, durable, test tubes for starting colonies.  This feature-packed holder has been specifically engineered to work with 13 mm and 16 mm Lake Charles Manufacturing (LCM) rimless Pyrex glass tubes, which are also included in each kit.

Thanks to dspdrew for some design direction.

Features and Benefits:

• Heavy, stable, durable plastic.
  • (E) Quick-glance visibility of up to 8 test tubes.  Fully compatible with 13 mm OR 16 mm LCM Pyrex glass tubes (compatibility varies by model).
  • (E) Grips test tubes snugly, so they do not fall out when bank is transported. Tubes do not roll around inside bank slots, but are easily adjustable.
  • (E) 5 degrees of tilt reduces the impact of possible floods.
  • (E) Bi-color white and chocolate/brown background.
    • Allow high contrast viewing of brood and workers.
    • Tubes may be easily repositioned within the bank slots so that the active area (where the ants are positioned) either has a light or dark background.
    • In addition, the unique contour of the bank slots and dark background may provide a shaded area for light-sensitive queens.
  • (E) Rubber bumpers stabilize the bank on smooth surfaces, and decrease the effects of vibrations by 60%.
  • (E) Shine light through back side (such as cellphone or flashlight) to illuminate ants from behind.
  • (E) Perpendicular holes running the length of the front/back and left/right slots allow for custom placement of standard heating cables.
  • (E) "Peg board" backing allows for the insertion of hangers on which forceps or pipettes may be stored for quick access.

"(E)" denotes exclusive features not found in any other test tube holder.

All "Moo Moo" Test Tube Banks are intended for right-handed use only.

Kit Includes:

• (1) "Moo Moo" Test Tube Bank (choose 13 mm or 16 mm model)
  • (10) 13 mm or 16 mm Pyrex glass LCM tubes (size depends on model selection)
  • (1) Light duty plastic forceps
  • (2) Fine-tipped pipettes for feeding small droplets of liquid
  • Peg holders for small items like forceps and pipettes
  • Cotton balls

Coming soon to Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk!  

Follow this thread to be notified when this product becomes available!

Edited by drtrmiller, December 6 2015 - 3:01 PM.

• Tspivey16 and BrittonLS like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 6 2015 - 1:21 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

how much will it cost, and will it come with test tubes?

#3 Offline ferhat - Posted December 6 2015 - 2:10 PM

ferhat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTurkey
Good design

#4 Offline john.harrold - Posted December 6 2015 - 3:12 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

Have you considered designing it such that a heating cable can be integrated? I'm thinking that those holes could be used to loop one back and forth. If the hottest spot when using heating cable can be identified a sensor can be placed in that spot so that a regulator can be used to prevent overheating.

This is what I kind of do now with my Grotube (I know, warranty voided :)). I place the heating cable under the grow tube and in the center (directly under the GroTube) I have the sensor and the regulator is set at about 80. This is the most obvious place to put the regulator, and it's pretty easy to determine. For the curved design and the potential airflow behind the stand I'd have to think about it.

I do like the design though. Minimizes the desk space and optimizes viewing. 

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 6 2015 - 3:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The price will be competitive with other offerings.  It will also be available on Thingiverse at no charge for users to make themselves.

Yes, as the description says multiple times, 10 Pyrex glass test tubes are included.  The test tubes are the highest quality ones I've found, and anyone can restock cheaply from the manufacturer's website, or byFormica on Amazon, which will sell them as a standalone item at a reasonable price.

Good design

Thanks!  It's a start, at least :~)

Have you considered designing it such that a heating cable can be integrated? 

The heat tunnels are 8 mm in diameter.

Further customizations will be left to the user.  The price I would have to charge for integrated electronics in this type of product would make it out of reach for most people.  Etherwulf and I have just begun work on a universal formicarium heater/lamp, so that may be an option soon, as well.

The ability to heat the tubes should be seen as an advanced feature.  Bottom heating of test tubes carries the risk of creating a greenhouse within the tube—potentially causing condensation and drowning ants.  The 9 holes, however, do provide many different configurations for running a single cable through one part.  With that level of customization, it additional functionality is almost redundant.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 6 2015 - 4:04 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline NightsWebs - Posted December 6 2015 - 8:24 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

hmmm, interesting set up.  how tall is the whole set up?

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 6 2015 - 11:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

how tall is the whole set up?

I don't have dimensions for the finished product yet.  What is pictured is a prototype concept.

I estimate the final design to be less than 6 inches tall.

#8 Offline Etherwulf - Posted December 7 2015 - 9:58 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

And I thought I was bad at names. So when's the complimentary bovine feeder coming along?  :rolleyes:

• Gregory2455 likes this

#9 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 7 2015 - 2:16 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

do you think this product will be released before the holidays, just curious.

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 7 2015 - 3:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I didn't expect so many people to be interested in something like this.

Consequently, I'm moving ahead with an upgrade ahead of the initial release.  The upgrade will improve the durability and versatility of the product.

Instead of having two versions, one for 13 mm tubes and one for 16 mm tubes, the new version will incorporate small, removable sleeves that mount onto an even larger base.  This way, a single design may accommodate multiple tube sizes simultaneously—up to 10, 16 mm tubes, or 12, 13 mm tubes—while also allowing for mixing and matching, if, for example, a user has mostly 16 mm tubes, but has one or two small queens that require 13 mm or smaller tubes.

The revised design intent will also resolve the possible issue of a sleeve or slot not properly gripping the tube (too tight, or too loose).  If the sleeve is fully integrated, it is less easily modified.  An inexpensive, removable sleeve is much easier to replace if it breaks or no longer fits as desired.

An announcement will be posted when more is known about the product's availability.  That is all I can say at this time.

• ctantkeeper, LC3, Martialis and 1 other like this

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 8 2015 - 2:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

• Martialis likes this

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 31 2016 - 12:01 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Creative design. Will for sure be buying when it's released!  :)

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted December 31 2016 - 12:42 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Creative design. Will for sure be buying when it's released!  :)

Yes, definetly. These would be super handy. I tried to build a wooden rack for all my test tubes. However when i tried to take a test tube out I had to jerk on it because my holes were so tight, and it shook up my colony. I also couldn't see my ants, because the wood blocked the test tube. Not to mention due to my poor craftsman ship I had more than one test tube sitting sitting at a 40 degree angle. :D 

• Nathant2131 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#14 Offline FSTP - Posted December 31 2016 - 6:14 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

How did I miss this??? I really like this design over my run of the mill conventional lab test tube holder turned on its side. 

I will defiantly be ordering a few of these when they're available. Will you be offering a preorder?

#15 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 31 2016 - 8:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

It will also be available on Thingiverse at no charge for users to make themselves.

Is this still true? I can't find it.

Edited by Mdrogun, December 31 2016 - 8:02 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 31 2016 - 10:39 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Fascinating this thread has been resurrected after a year of relative obscurity. There was a burst of enthusiasm back last year when this concept was introduced, the same as now.

I had some challenges initially, so the project was postponed. It's amazing how much I've learned since last year, and it is likely I can use that knowledge and new tools I've acquired to complete this.

You guys make my continued work possible when you squawk about it here and buy things on the Amazon. Thank you guys. Looking forward to completing lots of old projects in 2017, and starting some new ones.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 31 2016 - 10:41 PM.

#17 Offline SpikeyOls - Posted January 1 2017 - 10:55 AM

SpikeyOls

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

The price will be competitive with other offerings.  It will also be available on Thingiverse at no charge for users to make themselves.

Yes, as the description says multiple times, 10 Pyrex glass test tubes are included.  The test tubes are the highest quality ones I've found, and anyone can restock cheaply from the manufacturer's website, or byFormica on Amazon, which will sell them as a standalone item at a reasonable price.

Good design

Thanks!  It's a start, at least :~)

Have you considered designing it such that a heating cable can be integrated? 

The heat tunnels are 8 mm in diameter.

Further customizations will be left to the user.  The price I would have to charge for integrated electronics in this type of product would make it out of reach for most people.  Etherwulf and I have just begun work on a universal formicarium heater/lamp, so that may be an option soon, as well.

The ability to heat the tubes should be seen as an advanced feature.  Bottom heating of test tubes carries the risk of creating a greenhouse within the tube—potentially causing condensation and drowning ants.  The 9 holes, however, do provide many different configurations for running a single cable through one part.  With that level of customization, it additional functionality is almost redundant.

​Is it on thingiverse???

#18 Offline T.C. - Posted January 1 2017 - 5:24 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Fascinating this thread has been resurrected after a year of relative obscurity. There was a burst of enthusiasm back last year when this concept was introduced, the same as now.

I had some challenges initially, so the project was postponed. It's amazing how much I've learned since last year, and it is likely I can use that knowledge and new tools I've acquired to complete this.

You guys make my continued work possible when you squawk about it here and buy things on the Amazon. Thank you guys. Looking forward to completing lots of old projects in 2017, and starting some new ones.

Like I said, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

• FSTP likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#19 Offline Kevin - Posted January 1 2017 - 5:49 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

How many meters of PLA would this take to print? It's a pretty bulky rack, but a very unique design.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#20 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted March 9 2017 - 1:04 PM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

is this available??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users