• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Discussion - byFormica Sunburst Ant Nectar

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 22 2015 - 9:57 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Click Here to Buy Sunburst Ant Nectar

About Sunburst Ant Nectar:

• Bottled liquid sugar ant food. Convenient and reliable alternative to homemade sugar and honey water mixtures.
  • 100% clean, natural ingredients with no preservatives added - enjoyed by all sweet-loving ants
  • In addition to sugar, Sunburst supplies the perfect balance of electrolytes to stimulate appetite and promote natural feeding response
  • Bottled product remains fresh 3 to 6 months after opening, and no refrigeration is required
  • Does not contain protein. Feed alongside insects and a variety of other natural foods for a nutritionally complete diet.

Overview:
Sunburst Ant Nectar is the convenient, reliable sugar water alternative that ants love! Ant species that crave sweet foods will readily drink Sunburst Ant Nectar. Our advanced formula consists of a ready-to-use liquid, and works best with byFormica Liquid Feeders designed for ants (sold separately).

What is the shelf life of Sunburst?
The shelf life of the unopened product is 2 years from the date of manufacture, and is printed on the bottle label as a “BEST BY” date.  Once the bottle has been opened and used regularly, small bottles will stay fresh for about 3 months, while larger bottles will stay fresh for up to 6 months. Exposure to air is the primary means by which the product deteriorates.  Keep the product tightly closed at all times to limit exposure to air.  We recommend purchasing the smallest size bottle you can comfortably use within this time frame.

What size bottle should I choose?
While everyone will use the product differently, the following table may offer some general guidelines as to the use-capacity* of each bottle size.

* Use-capacity determined by offering small colonies either 0.5 or 1 ml of product every 3 days, and larger colonies 2 or 4 ml of product every 3 days.

How to use:

• To observe vigorous feeding activity, offer as much as your ants can consume within a few hours, every 2 to 3 days.

• When using SUNBURST™, do not use other sweetened foods such as sugar water, honey, or other sweet foods. SUNBURST™ provides all the nutrition of these sweets and more.

• Allowing ants constant access to Sunburst or other sugary foods will keep them full of food, and you may observe less vigorous feeding activity over time.

For small colonies, dispense 0.5 to 1 ml (10 to 20 drops) into a byFormica Micro Liquid Feeder.  Larger colonies may require as much as 4 ml (100 drops) dispensed into a byFormica Mini Liquid Feeder.  Smaller amounts will evaporate more quickly in the liquid feeder or serving tray. Outside the bottle, the liquid will evaporate into a syrup over time, which the ants do not prefer.  At a minimum, remove and replace uneaten liquid every 3 to 5 days.

Click Here to Buy Sunburst Ant Nectar 

Edited by drtrmiller, March 28 2020 - 3:46 PM.

• AntsTexas, AntsNY, AnthonyP163 and 2 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 22 2015 - 11:19 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

What makes this different from nectar/honey water? Does it have additional nutrients? Is it solely a carbohydrate source or does it also contain protein?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 22 2015 - 11:34 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

SUNBURST is:

• A shelf-stable sucrose solution formulated for optimal receptivity among many species of ants
  • 99.8% natural, wholesome ingredients - high receptivity formula compatible with all species of ants
  • Product will not spoil, and no refrigeration is required
  • In addition to sugar, Sunburst supplies the perfect balance of salts and essential micronutrients, commonly absent in captive ant diets, to stimulate appetite and promote natural feeding response
  • Feed alongside insects and other natural foods for a nutritionally complete diet

The short list of ingredients are listed on the label and product page.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 22 2017 - 3:16 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Alza - Posted June 22 2015 - 1:44 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

sounds revolutionary.  

#5 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 22 2015 - 6:03 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Good luck with this.  What I like is having something pre-mixed that doesn't spoil.  That's extremely tempting.  Mixing up small batches of honey water is a bit of a pain and not one of the appealing aspects of the hobby.  Looking forward to trying it.

• BugFinder likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 24 2015 - 4:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Our pilot run SUNBURST inventory has been received and processed by Amazon in the U.S.

Existing orders will ship from Amazon on or before June 29 with FREE 2-day shipping, as promised.  NEW orders will ship via the shipping method selected at checkout.

New:

SUNBURST may be added to Formula Blue 100 for sweet-loving ants.  SUNBURST and Formula Blue 100 may each be used separately, or mixed together, to create the perfect balance.  Using SUNBURST and Formula Blue 100 significantly decreases an antkeeper's dependence on insects and other natural foods.

Buy SUNBURST today, only on Amazon.com!

Edited by drtrmiller, June 24 2015 - 4:52 PM.

#7 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 24 2015 - 10:31 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I Just bought my sunburst.  Looking forward to trying it!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 29 2015 - 12:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No longer applicable.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 22 2017 - 3:16 AM.

#9 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 29 2015 - 4:53 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
But will my S.invicta like it?

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 29 2015 - 4:54 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Definitely. Tested and approved.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 15 2015 - 6:53 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Now available in a 2 oz size on Amazon.  Try it today!

Edited by drtrmiller, February 22 2017 - 3:17 AM.

#12 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 20 2015 - 6:47 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Ok, then cheeeeers ! a015.gif

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 20 2015 - 6:49 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Ok, then cheeeeers ! a015.gif

I'm going to send some to the Amazon UK and Germany in a few weeks.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 22 2017 - 3:17 AM.

#14 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 21 2015 - 11:47 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Got mine yesterday. Formica colonies seem to take it reservedly so far.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 21 2015 - 12:53 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What's the expiration date on the bottom right corner of the label?  I have two different formulations being sold under the same SKU.

It's not a miracle food. If ants don't take to sugary foods, this will likely not be any different.

If you have better results with another sugary food, let me know.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 21 2015 - 1:57 PM.

#16 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 21 2015 - 3:07 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
I'll check when I get home.

#17 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 21 2015 - 6:28 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
July 2016

#18 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 21 2015 - 6:30 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'll send you some of the other recipe you can compare it to.

#19 Offline john.harrold - Posted July 22 2015 - 8:53 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

I have a few questions about the sunburst nectar. How should this be stored once opened? Also how long is it good for after it has been opened? And how was the expiration date determined?

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 22 2015 - 10:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It is shelf stable.  Refrigeration is not required.  The date was determined by examining products with similar ingredients and will be changed if it is determined that an adjustment is necessary.

Are you having issues, or were you just curious?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users