• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

making a formicarium with a bottom that can just have water

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cewtsoul - Posted September 10 2019 - 2:36 PM

cewtsoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi I'm making a formicarium out of grout but i plan on the bottom under the grout to be filled with small rock,sand, maybe activated charcoal and water like a well. It will be like in nature..... like a well.  I plan on having a chamber at the bottom of the grout nest close to the water. I'm thinking that chamber will be where the most humidity is the highest. Will be a big micro (small chambers and tunnels) for my monomorium ants. 

Any thoughts and suggestions?

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 10 2019 - 2:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

nordic ants has a simple cup design, maybe make it larger in a tupperware container?

#3 Offline Boog - Posted September 10 2019 - 8:58 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Hi! I had a similar design to my Camponotus grout nest, I used aquarium gravel at the bottom. However, because I did a DIY nest there was a few gaps that the smaller workers eventually found and around 6 escaped. My grout nest was glued in place with some room for me to reach around to get to the bottom gravel layer where these workers had died. They're bodies, mixed with the water layer, would've caused some mold issues that I was able to stop by digging out this bottom gravel layer after drying it out and closing the gaps they escaped from. Now, I'm just using a cotton roll in the gravel's place instead to provide hydration until I figure out if I'll replace all the gravel after hibernation.

gallery_4140_1524_299443.jpg

I think it's a good idea to have a bottom water layer, just be mindful of how long the water will sit against the nest medium which could erode quickly and if this layer is accessible by escaped ants. I would advise sanitizing the hardscape of your nest and any gravel you use with either a vinegar (50/50 with hot water) or hydrogen peroxide soak and rinse and soak after with water.

I designed this nest for a Camponotus colony, so I wanted ventilation gaps to be present around the chambers. I'd be more worried about gaps with tiny ants, good luck!

Nordic Ant's plaster cup design could be an inspiration, like ponerinecat mentioned:

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users