• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello All from Kansas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cricketresearcher - Posted August 15 2019 - 10:40 AM

Cricketresearcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEmporia, Kansas

Hello everyone,

Just a grad student here, working on research using various insect species as model organisms to study the effects of certain athropogenic pollution on species fitness (I won't bore anyone with the details unless you're curious). Here to learn from all of you, as I'm hopeful to add a species or two of ant into my research ( especially now that Pogonomyrmex occidentalis queens are now legal to ship across state lines, since I've had terrible luck catching queens).

Great to meet you all,

Daniel

• Martialis, rbarreto, sweetgrass and 1 other like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 6:02 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Certain ants are great keystone species, good to meet you.

• Cricketresearcher likes this

#3 Offline Amazant - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:26 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I’m in Kansas, do you know any affordable places to obtain Pogonomyrmex occidentalis as all I’ve found is tarheel ants which don’t have that much of a high price, but something cheaper would be nice. All the queens I have right now is a colony of taponoma Sessile, Tetramorium, Formica Subsericea which looks like her first workers will be here tommarow! As well as two crematogaster Queens with one who has lots of pupae, and one Camponotus pennsylvanicus who won't lay eggs :( but the rest are doing fine. What species would you be looking for?
  • TennesseeAnts and Cricketresearcher like this
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#4 Offline Cricketresearcher - Posted August 25 2019 - 7:07 PM

Cricketresearcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Great to see someone else from my state. The P. occidentalis queens I've seen have ranged from 40-60, so tarheel seems on the upper end, but their reputation might make the extra cost worthwhile. Also I'm sure the price might drop in time since they've just become shippable, but that's my guess. Personally, I know I'm new enough to need hardy beginner friendly species. I've worked with many inverts but not ants. Camponotus sp. seem like a reasonable start but I'm taking my time to do my research and make sure I chose well before I seek any queens out. I will admit my dream species would be Myrmecocystus mexicanus, but I'm not going to hold my breath that will happen. 

• AntLad likes this

#5 Offline AntLad - Posted August 25 2019 - 7:35 PM

AntLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Welcome to the forum. Even after your research you might find yourself so in love with this hobby that it stays with you. As of now, yeah, purchasing a species would be wiser than catching if you have a deadline for your work, since winter is coming and you don't want to take any chances there.

You still might have luck catching:

Crematogaster spp.
Ponera spp.
Temnothorax spp.
Pheidole spp.
Myrmica spp.
Brachymyrmex spp.
Aphaenogaster spp.

Most of those are great beginner species, if not all. 
Good luck!

#6 Offline Cricketresearcher - Posted September 10 2019 - 8:58 PM

Cricketresearcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the welcome! I'm certainly keeping my eyes open for any late flights, but I lucked out and got a Messor queen with brood and first workers so I've been enjoying watching them gather the teff seeds and thawed and cut up mealworms for them

• Martialis likes this

#7 Offline wyattparx - Posted October 7 2019 - 8:11 PM

wyattparx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello everyone,

Just a grad student here, working on research using various crossword solver sip calculator epfoinsect species as model organisms to study the effects of certain athropogenic pollution on species fitness (I won't bore anyone with the details unless you're curious). Here to learn from all of you, as I'm hopeful to add a species or two of ant into my research ( especially now that Pogonomyrmex occidentalis queens are now legal to ship across state lines, since I've had terrible luck catching queens).

Great to meet you all,

Daniel

good to meet you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users