• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to introduce polygynous queens?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nawor3565 - Posted August 12 2019 - 5:56 PM

Nawor3565

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY, USA

Earlier this year, I found a bunch of Prenolepis imparis queens, most of which finally have workers. However, I only just realized that this species is polygynous. Each queen is in separate test tubes, and I want to make sure that introducing them is as simple as connecting the tubes. Is there anything special to note when introducing polygynous queens with workers? Thanks!

#2 Offline Amazant - Posted August 13 2019 - 7:02 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I have never done this but I have read some information about how to do this. Also just in case it doesn’t go so well you can always keep 1 queen separate so you will always have a successful colony. First I would put them in the fridge for a few minutes to cool them down, then after that you could put these tubes in a plastic tub and make sure that all the test Tubes are near each other and put a very fine mesh in the front of the tube so they can’t escape and then you could open ONE test tube after a few minutes and let the workers roam around and then wait a day and if there is no aggression happening open another test tube and watch how the ants behave if they are aggressive repeat the same thing. If they are not aggressive then let them be then open another tube and let those workers roam and check for aggression then keep repeating until they form one colony. Try this at your own risk and I haven’t done this so you could wait and see what other people have to say. But one thing is I would always keep one separate colony away from the rest just in case.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2019 - 12:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Best to chill first, but sometimes I just dump them in if they're highly polygynous.

#4 Offline Unfrozen - Posted August 14 2019 - 9:01 AM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga
I have some experience here I bought a prenolepis imparis 2 queen around 5-10 worker at the time and one of the queens died during transportation so I just put my queen in and her brood. But if they all have workers just put them in a tubs and tubes setup but keep the test tubes and a distance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users