• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kansas Queen

Best Answer VoidElecent , August 12 2019 - 12:51 PM

The only Tetramorium species in Kansas is Tetramorium immigrans, the Pavement Ant.

Walking around my neighborhood I have seen a larger type of Tetramorium compared to mine which look exactly like immigrans while mine look a few mm smaller. I have Also seen ones like mine that are smaller than the immigrans which look very similar to mine. Another thing is mine seem to have less hairs. Is there a possibility that mine could be immigrans just smaller because of the smaller amount of workers?

Also I heard from somewhere that Tetramorium don’t need hibernation they just take short breaks when needed, is this true? Or does it really depend on the climate because in my area it can get below freezing.
Also thanks for the suggestion.

Hibernation is usually always a good idea where it gets chilly in the Winter—Kansas is by no means an exception.

There is a lot of size variation in Tetramorium immigrans workers; established colonies tend to have larger workers than younger ones. That said, the only other option may be Tetramorium tsushimae; workers and queens are both a good bit smaller than T. immigrans, but if I recall correctly, colonies are locally abundant only in odd, random locations in the Midwest.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted August 12 2019 - 11:52 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Definitely a type of Tetramorium, but I’m having trouble identifying what type of Tetramorium such as impurum or caespitum and the many other types. Any help is appreciated.

Here’s a picture, also I think there colony is pretty small for Tetramorium because this is there 1st year.

Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 12 2019 - 11:53 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

The only Tetramorium species in Kansas is Tetramorium immigrans, the Pavement Ant.

#3 Offline Amazant - Posted August 12 2019 - 12:32 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

The only Tetramorium species in Kansas is Tetramorium immigrans, the Pavement Ant.

Walking around my neighborhood I have seen a larger type of Tetramorium compared to mine which look exactly like immigrans while mine look a few mm smaller. I have Also seen ones like mine that are smaller than the immigrans which look very similar to mine. Another thing is mine seem to have less hairs. Is there a possibility that mine could be immigrans just smaller because of the smaller amount of workers?

Also I heard from somewhere that Tetramorium don’t need hibernation they just take short breaks when needed, is this true? Or does it really depend on the climate because in my area it can get below freezing.

Edited by Amazant, August 12 2019 - 12:37 PM.

Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 12 2019 - 12:51 PM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hibernation is usually always a good idea where it gets chilly in the Winter—Kansas is by no means an exception.

There is a lot of size variation in Tetramorium immigrans workers; established colonies tend to have larger workers than younger ones. That said, the only other option may be Tetramorium tsushimae; workers and queens are both a good bit smaller than T. immigrans, but if I recall correctly, colonies are locally abundant only in odd, random locations in the Midwest.

#5 Offline Amazant - Posted August 12 2019 - 1:00 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Thank you, and it does look very similar to Tsushimae but as the colony gets older I’ll keep watching there size differences, because as of right now there are some workers that are maybe .25 mm larger than others. Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users