• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Virginia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aliallaie - Posted August 6 2019 - 11:00 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia, 20112
Hello everyone. Glad I found this site I was able to purchase my ants here. This is a great hobby and very addictive lol. I absolutely enjoy and love my ants. I have 2 Camponotus chromaidos and one c castaneus. I also have 3 Tetramoriums colonies which I found from queen. And 1 cromategastur colony. I learn something different about them each day. I started in May. I have one colony in a THA mini hearth and another in a ant shack formacerium. They both love their formaceriums. Speaking of formaceriums I have read a lot of ppl don’t like the AntsCanada formaceriums. If anyone has an idea please msg me. Or if anyone has any tips for ant beginners please msg me as well. Thank you
Great to be here.
  • PacificNorthWestern likes this

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted August 6 2019 - 11:51 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Welcome!!! I also keep C. chromaiodes and C.castaneus along with a few others. I have THA Mini Hearths for smaller stuff but I have two huge colonies in Ants Canada Hybrid 2.0 formicariums and the Ants seem to do fine! One problem I do see with them is that they are way big to start out with. They're smaller one is better.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline Aliallaie - Posted August 6 2019 - 1:00 PM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thank you. That’s great. Yes I agree they are way too big. Which species do you keep in the AntsCanada? And how big was your colony before you moved them into the AC?

#4 Offline Acutus - Posted August 6 2019 - 2:54 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Both AC setups are C. chromaiodes. Both colonies were big mature colonies I rescued from work. One was in an old tree cookie in an area being cleared and another was found in a pile of 2x2 tent poles in a shed.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#5 Offline Aliallaie - Posted August 6 2019 - 3:46 PM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
That’s amazing. How long have they been in the hybrid nests?

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted August 6 2019 - 4:10 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Not long. I think the first colony since April and the 2nd late June. You can check out my C. chromaiodes journal in the Jounals section. Even though it hasn't been long I never had any big die offs or anything.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2019 - 6:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hey! I’m glad I met you through the forum. Ali is already a great ant keeper.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline alexanderdani95 - Posted August 13 2019 - 3:34 AM

alexanderdani95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello everyone. Glad I found this site I was able to purchase my ants here. This is a great hobby and very addictive lol. I absolutely enjoy and love my ants. I have 2 Camponotus chromaidos and one c castaneus. I also have 3 Tetramoriums colonies which I found from queen. Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder SolitaireAnd 1 cromategastur colony. I learn something different about them each day. I started in May. I have one colony in a THA mini hearth and another in a ant shack formacerium. They both love their formaceriums. Speaking of formaceriums I have read a lot of ppl don’t like the AntsCanada formaceriums. If anyone has an idea please msg me. Or if anyone has any tips for ant beginners please msg me as well. Thank you

Great to be here.

Welcome!!

Edited by alexanderdani95, August 13 2019 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users