• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Remove male alates from brood boosted nest?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline yfaykya - Posted June 27 2019 - 4:19 AM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Hi,

I brood boosted some Lasius colonies (flavus and niger). A lot of the pupae are male alates. The colony of L. niger is killing them as they eclose but the other 2 colones (one each of L. flavus and niger) are just queens. I was wondering should I intervene?

Thanks!

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 8 2019 - 3:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

There is no need. They are going to die if you release them or not. The ants might even eat the males, so it would be of benefit to your colony.

• noebl1 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline yfaykya - Posted July 11 2019 - 9:15 AM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I thought they might be a burden on the queens as she might feed them. I was not concerned about their survival :-)

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 11 2019 - 9:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yes it will impact the queen's ability to raise a healthy colony. Remove the alates. If not, the queen will try to keep the alates alive by feeding them food she doesn't have. The nutrients she has stored in her wings muscles and fat reserves are just enough to keep her and her brood alive until workers arrive.
  • yfaykya likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users