• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster cf missouriensis journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 20 2019 - 4:46 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
6/20/19: alate queens began appearing at a blacklight around 5:30am, climbing in number over the next hour and peaking right at sunrise. 10 or so queens were collected, some with males attached, some who had already removed their wings at the light. Many seemed to remove their wings the moment they landed. I am fairly interested in keeping this species and hope they are able to found, I have some in test tubes, some in small founding formicariums, and some I will be transferring to small dirt boxes to see which method works best. I have also sent two to another keeper, one of which was collected with a male attached.
  • FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome! Crematogaster are the best! With the caveat that they can escape anything given enough time.
  • SuperFrank likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 20 2019 - 3:06 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Haha we have C pinicola here, they grow like invicta!

#4 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:50 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Update 6/23/19: a few of the queens have eggs now, I was very surprised at the size of the egg in relation to the queen as they are very large.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2019 - 10:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! That’s really nice that you don’t have to hibernate them before they lay like the northern species.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users