• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Three queens found in pool - Glendale, Arizona, USA - 6-19-2019 - 7:30 P.M.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Herdo - Posted June 19 2019 - 8:52 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

1. Found floating in my pool, Glendale, Arizona.

2. 6-19-2019

3.Suburban environment.

4. 6mm - 7mm

5. Reddish-brown head and thorax with a lighter reddish-brown (almost orange) gaster.  Gaster has a few darker stripes.

6. Two petiole present.  

7. Seem to not be too bothered by my presence or by bright lights.  All three removed their wings shortly after being removed from the pool.

9. All three were caught between 7:30 and 7:45 P.M

Photos right now aren't great.  Unfortunately the test tubes were very wet on the inside so it's hard to get decent photos with my microscope or macro lens.

Hopefully I can get some clearer pictures after the humidity regulates in the tube a bit more.

Fairly certain they are Solenopsis, and possibly Solenopsis amblychila.

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 19 2019 - 9:01 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Almost certainly Solenopsis amblychila.

• Zeiss, Herdo and Mettcollsuss like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline Herdo - Posted June 19 2019 - 9:22 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Almost certainly Solenopsis amblychila.

Ah that's a shame. Everything I've read says these are parasitic and I have no workers to give them.

Thank you!

Edited by Herdo, June 19 2019 - 9:22 PM.

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 20 2019 - 8:56 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Surely you have some S. xyloni colonies nearby that you can steal brood from. You probably wouldn't need to get her workers because their pupae are not encased in cocoons and don't necessarily need the assistance of workers to open them up. I think that's more of a thing for Lasius parasites. I feel like it'd be worth it to at least try, especially because of how beautiful S. amblychila is.

Edited by Aaron567, June 20 2019 - 9:02 AM.

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Surely you have some S. xyloni colonies nearby that you can steal brood from. You probably wouldn't need to get her workers because their pupae are not encased in cocoons and don't necessarily need the assistance of workers to open them up. I think that's more of a thing for Lasius parasites. I feel like it'd be worth it to at least try, especially because of how beautiful S. aurea is.

Solenopsis amblychila were renamed?
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#6 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:02 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Surely you have some S. xyloni colonies nearby that you can steal brood from. You probably wouldn't need to get her workers because their pupae are not encased in cocoons and don't necessarily need the assistance of workers to open them up. I think that's more of a thing for Lasius parasites. I feel like it'd be worth it to at least try, especially because of how beautiful S. aurea is.

I meant to say amblychila. Got the desert species mixed up

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I meant to say amblychila. Got the desert species mixed up

Ah, ok. :lol:

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 20 2019 - 11:10 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Did you name the last one Lafawrduh?

#9 Offline Herdo - Posted June 20 2019 - 11:55 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I'll look around, but other than queens, I haven't actually seen an active colony of ants yet this year. I went way out into the desert twice now and haven't seen a single ant, haha.

Did you name the last one Lafawrduh?

Lafawnduh
  • Canadian anter likes this

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 20 2019 - 1:57 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Even though solenopsis xyloni doesn't have pupae encased in cocoons, I would probably still use the callow method in order to get her to lay, as its effective with almost all social parasites including those that can also be done with pupae like formica. I recommend reading the guide to founding lasius parasites as that has some information and founding methods that should still apply to amblychila: http://www.formicult...+lasius +social

And one more thing: there has got to be some solenopsis xyloni colonies around your area since you caught an alate the other day. I recommend looking around in parks or under stones as fire ants thrive in man made habitats. Be sure to wear gloves though as big xyloni colonies are aggressive and their stings pack a punch!

Edited by Manitobant, June 20 2019 - 1:59 PM.

#11 Offline Herdo - Posted June 21 2019 - 9:01 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I haven't seen anything yet, but I'll keep looking.

Even though solenopsis xyloni doesn't have pupae encased in cocoons, I would probably still use the callow method in order to get her to lay, as its effective with almost all social parasites including those that can also be done with pupae like formica. I recommend reading the guide to founding lasius parasites as that has some information and founding methods that should still apply to amblychila: http://www.formicult...+lasius +social
And one more thing: there has got to be some solenopsis xyloni colonies around your area since you caught an alate the other day. I recommend looking around in parks or under stones as fire ants thrive in man made habitats. Be sure to wear gloves though as big xyloni colonies are aggressive and their stings pack a punch!

So is that the issue? That she don't start laying without developed brood/workers? I've been reading that these may not require host workers and I'm just wondering what would be the signal that they aren't going to make it without them.

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 21 2019 - 11:00 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You can kinda tell she is parasitic by her thin stature and smaller gaster and large head. Many people have tried raising this species and have only had sucess with host workers. These queens will probably either die or never lay eggs without them. Also, queens have been seen infiltrating or already in wild solenopsis xyloni colonies meaning that they must be parasitic. Also, I suggest reading drew's solenopsis amblychila journal:http://www.formicult...4-discontinued/

Edited by Manitobant, June 21 2019 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users