• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Together 2019

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 16 2019 - 5:14 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Date: Saturday, July 27th

Starting Time: 10:00am. Meeting in one of the parking lot areas. Possible break for lunch around 1:00pm.

Address:200 Georgia Rd, Freehold, NJ 07728

You should wear bug spray, ideally something with 40% DEET. We encounter a variety of ticks and chiggers on these trips, you may want to dress appropriately for that. I know they recommend long pants and tucking them into your socks but also it's the summer and dressing that way is really hot. I'm going to try and get a tube of 98% pure DEET which is strong enough to melt a cell phone, and apparently shoes... I'm not kidding. It's also one of the few things I've actually seen causes ticks running to get OFF of you.

I will have a few hand spades on hand too which are used to safely flip large rocks and logs. Snakes, and Black Widows are some of the other things we encounter on these trips. They're really not something to worry about but better safe than sorry. 

For a secondary location Brendan T. Byrne State Forest seems like a nice option. The thing is it's a new location and we don't know what we'll find there. Prospertown Lake we know we'll be able to find some Trachymyrmex colonies, however we've been finding they're pretty found all over the Pine Barrens wherever there's sandy soil. We'll discuss it the day of while exploring Turkey Swamp.

Secondary Location One:

Prospertown Lake to see the Trachymyrmex septentrionalis colonies there.

Note: I don't think this place has an official address but it is directly next to 6 Flags Great Adventure. Here is the address for them, just drive past it or stop when you get to the lake. 

1 Six Flags Blvd, Jackson, NJ 08527

Secondary Location Two: New Location

Brendan T. Byrne State Forest

Parking Lot Address: 103 Shinns Rd, Vincentown, NJ 08088

(Updated) I'm re-purposing this thread for our second trip of the year. The first trip sort of petered out after the first location for various reasons. So we're making a second trip of the year at the locations we didn't get to. 

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, July 21 2019 - 12:23 PM.

• Herdo, AntsBC and Boog like this

#2 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 17 2019 - 7:45 AM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

I'll be there. 

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted June 17 2019 - 5:01 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Id ride the bike down if it was a weekend.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted June 30 2019 - 10:39 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I have updated the information above for our second trip of the year. If you're planning to attend please post so here or contact me directly. There are three parking lots at this place that are sort of close to one another, we'll be messaging one another on discord to meet up. If you don't have discord, I'm willing to communicate via text but let me know that you're going.

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, July 16 2019 - 5:14 PM.

#5 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted July 30 2019 - 7:55 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Highlights from the more recent trip.

Crematogaster tending Scale insects.

Formica exsectoides mound seen more from aside as most shots don't seem to capture just how large they are. 

An abandoned mound on the right that was over taken by some kind of moss. Not sure if the ants abandoned it first or did so because of the moss.

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis workers collecting frass.

Queen starting a nest.

Aphaenogaster chewing up a mushroom. Eating fungus is uncommon among ants that don't go out of their way to farm it. This isn't often seen because Aphaenogaster will only eat certain mushrooms which only grow at a certain time of the year.

We encountered two of the worst caterpillars to bump into within a short walking distance of one another.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mrilovetheants/Spiny%20Oak-Slug%20Moth%202.jpg

Spiny Oak-Slug catepillar

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mrilovetheants/IO%20Moth.jpg

IO moth caterpillars.

The hairs to both of these produce a very painful sting. The neurotoxin lasts for hours and can leave one in so much pain they'll find it difficult to drive.

• Canadian anter, rbarreto and Boog like this

#6 Offline Boog - Posted July 30 2019 - 11:43 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Wish I could've seen this earlier, but I was busy on the 27th. I'm close to Freehold and would've enjoyed coming out to see some ants. Maybe next time!

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 31 2019 - 3:37 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Nice. I'll try to upload some of my shots at some point today.

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 31 2019 - 5:48 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Really glad to see this still goes on! Good luck; have fun!

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 31 2019 - 6:14 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Aphaenogaster sp. eating a russula mushroom:

" />n4oxb34.jpg

jeJ4gV0.jpg

wP3Ncr1.jpg

IYsoTTY.jpg

Scary caterpillar:

JDdutae.jpg

Scary spider:

UfDNjRc.jpg

n4oxb34

This little dude:

rfOSwXL.jpg

• Canadian anter and TennesseeAnts like this

#10 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted July 31 2019 - 11:52 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Your mushroom Aphaenogaster shots came out way better than mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users