• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What to gut load crickets with before freezing?

crickets feeder insects ant nutrition ant food gut loading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted June 15 2019 - 9:11 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I bought some crickets online in bulk, because ya know, big box stores are overpriced. I was planning on gut loading them then freezing them. Right now I've just given them some turkey lunch meat and kiwi fruit. 

What suggestions do y'all have for feeding the crickets before I freeze them? What specialized gut loading products seem best for ants? What regular food in my fridge / pantry seem best for gut loading for ants?

Thanks y'all! Camponotus decipiens is my current kept species.

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted June 17 2019 - 1:48 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Salad. Cricktes mostly eat leaves, not sure what happens if you feed them too much protein.

Roaches will produce uric acid and other nasty stuff, crickets might do something similar.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted June 17 2019 - 3:03 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

The problem is we don't know what would be best for the ants, since there is not much research done on that subject. So I wouldn't worry too much about gut loading your insects.

Crickets are omnivores, I feed mine a mixture of dry food (mostly high protein food like cat dry food, fish chips etc) and fresh food (apples, cucumbers, carrots etc).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crickets, feeder insects, ant nutrition, ant food, gut loading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users