• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do some colonies have more than one nuptial flight per year?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted June 14 2019 - 7:21 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

In May I saw the Camponotus decipiens colonies on my property having lots of alates gather around the openings to their nests. I never saw them take off per-say and while I didn't look to hard at the time I did not see any queens that week either, but I'm pretty sure that was a nuptial flight in the making. I've seen no alates since then, till now. I've seen one or two male alates crawl in and out of colonies. One tree branch that fell off had a few males in it too, and it looked like lots of giant pupae. I am thinking Camponotus decipiens in my area (Fort Worth, TX) are hatching a new batch of alates? Do they have more than one nuptial flight a year? I hope I get another chance of finding a brand new queen, I'll look a lot harder this time!

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted June 15 2019 - 4:10 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Yes, some ants fly twice (or even more often) in a year. It all depends on the species and the conditions.
  • AnthonyP163 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 15 2019 - 8:41 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

In a paper on the flight behaviors of Dolichoderus taschenbergi a colony is described as having 30 flights between June 26 and July 28, and the author estimated that 12,000-15,000 alates flew from this single colony during this season.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline RiotAnts - Posted July 10 2019 - 10:59 AM

RiotAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes a lot of ants will fly more than once.

#5 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 11 2019 - 7:07 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
I have found the same species from different flights in the same location , so yes they can and do have more than one flight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users