• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinder's Pogonomyrmex Subdentatus

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 14 2015 - 10:54 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Today David and I collected two Pogonomyrmex Subdentatus queens near Hollister, CA. 

kVEliAy.jpg

Tomorrow I need to buy cotton balls so I can make up proper test tubes for them, a heat lamp so I can keep everyone warm enough (in one day I went from having 1 colony to having 9 colonies), and I need to install a shelf in my home where I plan to keep all my new ant friends.

Edited by BugFinder, March 14 2015 - 11:04 PM.

• Gregory2455 likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 15 2015 - 12:49 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

*Not to be confused with Pogonomyrmex subnitidus :D

Nice! I do not believe we have these guys down here in Southern California.

• BugFinder likes this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2015 - 2:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Such an early-flying Pogonomyrmex species.

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 15 2015 - 8:35 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It was a strange day, we saw lots of their nests, but didn't see any of them flying.  We just happened to see these queens out and about.  I wonder if they either, weren't real swift and hadn't dug in like their sisters did, or finished digging and needed to eat and were out foraging.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2015 - 9:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would go with your second guess. It's common to see Pogonomyrmex foraging for a week or two after they fly.

• BugFinder likes this

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 15 2015 - 6:06 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

So I put queen 1 in a talus, and queen 2 in a test tube inside the plastic outworld I got from Drew with my californicus colony.  I've noticed queen 1 forages alot,  It's hard to get photos of her because she moves so fast and almost never stops moving outside the nest.  Queen 2, on the other hand, doesn't seem to move around much.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline ToeNhi - Posted March 15 2015 - 10:22 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
Make sure you give them some raw seeds. I bought some raw honey from a local farmers market, and they love it. If you don't have honey, sugar water should work just as well.
  • BugFinder likes this

-ToeNhi

#8 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 15 2015 - 11:04 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I gave them both poppy seeds and a cricket.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 5:58 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

1 of my P. Subdentatus colonies has laid eggs.  The other one hasn't laid any eggs that I can see, but she seems to be doing well too.  I'm very happy these Pogonomyrmex seem to be doing well.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:15 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I gave them both poppy seeds and a cricket.

Have they eaten the cricket? Mine (well, P. rugosus) never touched the crickets or fruit flies I offered.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#11 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:49 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Yes, the crickets are long gone ;)  I need to serve another course tomorrow.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 4:49 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

On Friday last week my bud Tony brought me so more P. Subdentatus queens. 

Today a Talus arrived in the mail from Tarheel Ants, and I moved one of these five queens into that nest.  This colony will from now on be referred to as Talus 3.

I still have 1 queen in Talus 2, 1 queen in a test tube in a plastic box (I collected those two queens with my buddy David), and 4 more queens (that tony gave me) in individual test tubes awaiting boxes.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 6 2015 - 10:37 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I gave talus 2 and 3 a cricket today.  Talus 2 dragged the cricket into her nest.   Strange.  Her eggs are outside the nests near the water tower.  She appears to be doing well.  

Talus 3 hasn't touched her cricket yet.  Looking forward to seeing her eat, I always consider that a sign of good health.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 7 2015 - 5:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is the water tower where the only moisture is?

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 7 2015 - 8:37 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Is the water tower where the only moisture is?

THA suggests to also water the nest area and not depend on the water tower. I do that but have the tendency to over-water. I think the designs have have the water tower inside the nest are better.

I gave talus 2 and 3 a cricket today.  Talus 2 dragged the cricket into her nest.   Strange.  Her eggs are outside the nests near the water tower.  She appears to be doing well.  

Talus 3 hasn't touched her cricket yet.  Looking forward to seeing her eat, I always consider that a sign of good health.

Do you cut up your crickets? Mine has never touched crickets or fruitflies for some reason.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#16 Offline ToeNhi - Posted April 7 2015 - 9:43 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Be careful giving the Talus founding queens whole crickets. If they take it into the chamber, it could mold. I will only give my founding queens the cricket's hind legs if they are in Growth Chambers or test tubes. It is easier to retrieve uneaten pieces and clean any potential mold before it becomes an issue.

For the Talus, you should consider pinning just the abdomen of the cricket to something like an eraser or piece of plastic and leave it in the foraging area. That way the queen can feed from it, but won't be able to drag it into the nesting area.
  • Miles likes this

-ToeNhi

#17 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 8 2015 - 2:04 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just learned that the hard way before I read your comment.  A cricket has been dragged into one of the nests.  now what do I do, lol.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#18 Offline ToeNhi - Posted April 8 2015 - 11:24 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I just learned that the hard way before I read your comment.  A cricket has been dragged into one of the nests.  now what do I do, lol.

If the queen does not have any brood yet, you can move her into temporary housing and shake the cricket out. Otherwise you can buy a pair of long thin tweezers to remove it. I don't have a Talus because of this potential issue even though I really like the look, so I don't have any first hand knowledge with it. Maybe someone else on this forum can help. Sorry and good luck.

-ToeNhi

#19 Offline Crystals - Posted April 9 2015 - 6:43 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

She may drag the cricket out.  If not then I would follow ToeNhi's suggestion of moving her for a few minutes and shaking the cricket out.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#20 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 25 2015 - 3:50 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

As of today I have 4 of these colonies left.  2 in talus's (1 each of course), 1 in a dirt box (lol) that I bought from Drew, and 1 in a Biformica growth chamber.  They all seem to be doing really well.

I can't see much in the talus nests, so I can't see the brood (if any) but both talus queens seem to forage daily.

The queen I put in the dirt box dug a founding chamber within a few hours of putting her in there and I haven't seen her since.  I can't see her in her chamber.  The cricket i put in there for her has gone uneaten, so I'm guessing she isn't foraging.

I haven't noticed any brood in the biformica growth chamber yet.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users