• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cephalotes varians Riparium

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 6 2019 - 8:44 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

As some of you may know, I'm going to the Florida Keys soon, and thanks to information provided by several people, I have found out it is legal to transport ants across state borders, and the one species I really have my eye on is Cephalotes varians. I have some really nice plans for their formicarium, and I'm set on a final design. A Red Mangrove swamp riparium, complete with mangrove roots and live Red Mangrove Trees. I'm going to order the Mangroves tonight, and I should be getting them before I leave for Florida on June 14th. I've already got the riparium all set up. I've set up the root system, the limestone, vines, and even a turtle shell. I'm just waiting for the water to clear so I can decorate it. I'm probably let the plants get all settled in for a few months before the introduction of the ants. I will be keeping the ants in a lab-style setup until the end of the summer when I introduce them to the riparium. I will be collecting some hollow twigs from Florida to put into the riparium for the ants to nest in. I will most likely be collecting twigs inhabited by another species, like Crematogaster or Colobopsis and get them out somehow and into another twig. I'm really excited to finish up the riparium and get the ants into it in a few months. I will post pictures once the riparium is completed.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 6 2019 - 8:47 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Are the laws the same way in Tennessee?

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 6 2019 - 9:06 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Are the laws the same way in Tennessee?

You'd have to look it up, cause I'm not entirely sure.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted June 6 2019 - 9:26 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

"A PPQ 526 permit is required for the importation, interstate movement and environmental release of most insects and mites that feed upon or infest plants or plant products, including agricultural crops, trees, shrubs, native plants, etc."

https://www.aphis.us...ites/CT_Insects

Cephalotes is arboreal. It most certainly "infests" trees.

§330.200   Movement of plant pests regulated; permits required.

No person shall knowingly move any plant pest into or through the United States from any place outside thereof, or interstate, or knowingly accept delivery of any plant pest so moving unless such movement is authorized under permit under this part and is made in accordance with the conditions therein and the provisions in this part. The movement of snails and slugs, as well as other plant pests, is governed by such provisions. Biological specimens of plant pests, in preservative or dried, may be imported without further restriction under this part, but subject to inspection on arrival in the United States to confirm the nature of the material and freedom from risk of plant pest dissemination.

This section is where APHIS gets its regulations.

This is an excerpt from the Plant Protection Act. 

Although it may say "commerce," the USDA and APHIS have interpreted this to mean the movement of plant pests. Period.

Under the Plant Protection Act of 2000, a plant pest is defined as any living stage of any of the following that can directly or indirectly injure, cause damage to, or cause disease in any plant or plant product: a protozoan, nonhuman animal, parasitic plant, bacterium, fungus, virus or viroid, infectious agent or other pathogen, or any article similar to or allied with any of those articles including unidentified organisms associated with infected plant parts. A PPQ permit is required for the importation, domestic movement and environmental release of any living organism that falls within this definition. Regulations on the issuance of permits for plant pests are found in 7 CFR 330.2.

You cannot legally move Cephalotes interstate without a permit.

Edit: here is the web page upon which APHIS regulates their list of regulated plant pests. Cephalotes are regulated under both Myrmicinae and Formicidae in these listings:

med_gallery_1053_1550_14576.png

Link: https://www.aphis.us...rppl/rppl-table

Edited by Martialis, June 6 2019 - 9:38 AM.

• Barristan, rbarreto and ANTdrew like this
Spoiler

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted June 6 2019 - 9:42 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
For some reason, though, Camponotus don’t have a listing separate from the blanket one... bureaucracy at its finest, I guess.
:/

Edited by Martialis, June 6 2019 - 9:44 AM.

Spoiler

#6 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 6 2019 - 9:50 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I guess by this logic, ponerine ants are exceptions :lol: Specifically Stigmatomma pallipes as I'm obsessed with them but then again, all ants are classified under Formicidae so... None

Edited by VenomousBeast, June 6 2019 - 9:53 AM.

• Martialis likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:13 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I guess I'll have to cancel the project then.  :*(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline Acutus - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:23 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You don't have to cancel everything! the Setup sounds Awesome and I'd love to see pics! Just find a local species that will appreciate the same setup! you like climbing trees I'm sure you'll find some species! :D :D

• futurebird likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#9 Offline Acutus - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:26 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

"A PPQ 526 permit is required for the importation, interstate movement and environmental release of most insects and mites that feed upon or infest plants or plant products, including agricultural crops, trees, shrubs, native plants, etc."

No person shall knowingly move any plant pest into or through the United States from any place outside thereof, or interstate, or knowingly accept delivery of any plant pest so moving unless such movement is authorized under permit under this part and is made in accordance with the conditions therein and the provisions in this part. The movement of snails and slugs, as well as other plant pests, is governed by such provisions. Biological specimens of plant pests, in preservative or dried, may be imported without further restriction under this part, but subject to inspection on arrival in the United States to confirm the nature of the material and freedom from risk of plant pest dissemination.

Although it may say "commerce," the USDA and APHIS have interpreted this to mean the movement of plant pests. Period.

Under the Plant Protection Act of 2000, a plant pest is defined as any living stage of any of the following that can directly or indirectly injure, cause damage to, or cause disease in any plant or plant product: a protozoan, nonhuman animal, parasitic plant, bacterium, fungus, virus or viroid, infectious agent or other pathogen, or any article similar to or allied with any of those articles including unidentified organisms associated with infected plant parts. A PPQ permit is required for the importation, domestic movement and environmental release of any living organism that falls within this definition. Regulations on the issuance of permits for plant pests are found in 7 CFR 330.2.

Edit: here is the web page upon which APHIS regulates their list of regulated plant pests. Cephalotes are regulated under both Myrmicinae and Formicidae in these listings:

ALL of this needs to be pinned in a topic somewhere. Especially the Links! thanks so much for doing the leg work! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#10 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:31 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Yes, Cephalotes varians certainly is arboreal, but it does not "infest" trees as you state. Cephalotes varians is not a pest by any means. It effects the trees it inhabit in no way shape or form. It only inhabits already dead and hollow twigs that have been hollowed out by beetle larva and then carve out a hole that perfectly matches the shape and size of the soldier's head, which does not harm the tree. They are not pests at all.

Also, could you take a look at this post and give me your thoughts on it? I'm just curious, and you seem to be very experienced in this sort of stuff.

http://www.formicult...ting +discovery

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#11 Offline Acutus - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:40 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Problem is the Federal Employee that knocks on your door to fine you isn't going to know or care. It's what "They" say that counts. If it's in the tree it's infesting the tree.

I deal with this crap all the time with Birds of Prey. When it comes down to it it's not worth the hassle it can cause. "That's my opinion of course". :D

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts, Ferox_Formicae and 1 other like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 6 2019 - 5:52 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

You don't have to cancel everything! the Setup sounds Awesome and I'd love to see pics! Just find a local species that will appreciate the same setup! you like climbing trees I'm sure you'll find some species! :D :D

do what he said. Colobopsis would work wonders in that setup as they also nest in branches and have majors to plug nest holes. Pseudomyrmex would be good too!

Edited by Manitobant, June 7 2019 - 7:25 AM.

• Acutus likes this

#13 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 6 2019 - 5:54 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

do what he said. Colobopsis would work wonders in that setup as they also nest in branches and have majors to plug best holes. Pseudomyrmex would be good too!

I could probably actually house both species in the riparium, as I typically find them in close proximity anyway.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users