• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tubs And Tubes Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Unfrozen - Posted June 5 2019 - 10:59 AM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

I've seen many tutorials about tubs and tubes and my question is how do i replace the test tubes when they get moldy or run out of water

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 5 2019 - 11:09 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You just take the tube out, dump the ants in the tub, and replace with a newly prepared tube.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 5 2019 - 11:22 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I don't do anything if the cotton is molded.  Unless you've added a whole insect or other excess food to the test tube and that is what is molding, moldy cotton is rarely a problem.  Even though it looks nasty, I haven't observed an instance when I could definitively say that the mold itself harmed the ants.

When the test tube appears to be critically low on water, introduce a new test tube to the tub, and the ants will move into the new tube when needed.  This may take a lot longer than you think (weeks or months), but the ants will always know when it is time to move.  Forcing them to move due to low water is rarely needed.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 5 2019 - 11:27 AM.

• Barristan, AntPhycho and ANTdrew like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Unfrozen - Posted June 5 2019 - 12:32 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

I don't do anything if the cotton is molded. Unless you've added a whole insect or other excess food to the test tube and that is what is molding, moldy cotton is rarely a problem. Even though it looks nasty, I haven't observed an instance when I could definitively say that the mold itself harmed the ants.

When the test tube appears to be critically low on water, introduce a new test tube to the tub, and the ants will move into the new tube when needed. This may take a lot longer than you think (weeks or months), but the ants will always know when it is time to move. Forcing them to move due to low water is rarely needed.

thanks man my tetramorium colony is being shipped and should be here on Friday I'm so exited
  • Acutus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users