• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some solitary stingless bee living in cacti pot ID

Best Answer AntPhycho , June 2 2019 - 9:53 AM

I feel it is of the genus Andrena (mining bee) as they make subterranean nests (hence the cactus pot). Almost looks like Andrena lauracea although I doubt it as these are extremely rare. Most likely Andrena clarkella.

Ah, you are right that it is mining bee, only issue is that I'm from Europe ( forgot to mention that part ). Quick google search suggested Andrena fulva except they are covered in red hair, which isn't the case with the one I took picture of.

In this case I would think it would be Andrena carantonica(scotica)? 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 2 2019 - 6:42 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

So uh, yeah, as the title says I found some cool looking bee entering the soil beneath the cactus and I managed to snap albeit bad, but a picture nonetheless.

I forgot to mention that the location is Northern Serbia, Europe.
GrUDZ2P.jpg

Edited by GeorgeK, June 2 2019 - 9:14 AM.

#2 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 2 2019 - 8:48 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I feel it is of the genus Andrena (mining bee) as they make subterranean nests (hence the cactus pot). Almost looks like Andrena lauracea although I doubt it as these are extremely rare. Most likely Andrena clarkella.

Edited by AntPhycho, June 2 2019 - 9:51 AM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#3 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 2 2019 - 9:19 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I feel it is of the genus Adrena (mining bee) as they make subterranean nests (hence the cactus pot). Almost looks like Adrena lauracea although I doubt it as these are extremely rare. Most likely Adrena clarkella.

Ah, you are right that it is mining bee, only issue is that I'm from Europe ( forgot to mention that part ). Quick google search suggested Andrena fulva except they are covered in red hair, which isn't the case with the one I took picture of.

#4 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 2 2019 - 9:53 AM   Best Answer

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

In this case I would think it would be Andrena carantonica(scotica)? 

Edited by AntPhycho, June 2 2019 - 9:55 AM.

• GeorgeK and rbarreto like this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users