• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to tell if ants are getting enough protein?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RacRmt - Posted June 1 2019 - 8:38 AM

RacRmt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hey guys, 

I've recently been feeding my lasius colony of 50-60 workers freeze dried bloodworms. I'll add a few drops of water to it to rehydrate them as described in this thread:   http://www.formicult...bloodworm-soup/

As you can see my ants seem to be very attracted to it. The only thing is, I haven't seem them take any worms back for their brood. At the end of feeding there is always a bunch of dried bloodworms left and I'm not sure if they've actually taken any of it. Are they just drinking the juices? Do you guys think this would be an adequate protein source for the colony or should I switch to another protein source?

15yyc92.jpg

Edited by RacRmt, June 1 2019 - 8:42 AM.

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 1 2019 - 9:02 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

They can lick up the juices or cut up chunks that they take back to the larvae. If the larvae are growing and not being consumed then they are likely receiving enough protein.

• RacRmt likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted June 1 2019 - 10:17 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I would also suggest giving other sources of protein now and again. Put in the occasional piece of meal-worm or other insect. :D

• RacRmt likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline RacRmt - Posted June 1 2019 - 10:28 AM

RacRmt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the help guys,

I'll also make sure to give them some other insects from time to time!

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2019 - 12:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tiny ants like Lasius are going to lap up juices primarily, so I wouldn’t worry about them not carrying solid chunks back to the brood. Like Acutus said, I also recommend variety with their protein. Find some other easy feeder insects for them or collect some carefully from areas you know are safe from chemicals. They may also like the juices from boiled chicken.
  • TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman and RacRmt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 4 2019 - 1:07 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
I’ve alternated animal and plant protein sources between rehydrated mealworms, pieces of raw chicken, beef, or pork, banana, and apple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users