• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Manitobant's mature camponotus novaeboracensis journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 30 2019 - 12:21 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If anyone here lives in canada, you would know that the massive camponotus nuptial flights are a special part of the springtime experience. When they come it signifies that a new season of anting has officially begun. While I have caught lots of camponotus queens so far, there is simply too many to make a journal on and it would take way too long. Instead I would like to make a journal on a colony I recently caught under a log with about 200 workers, lots of brood and a single queen. I currently have them housed in an extra large critter keeper which I originally used for wasp queens filled with rotten wood for them to dig through. They are doing really well so far and I have high Hopes for this colony.

Edited by Manitobant, May 30 2019 - 12:22 PM.

• Acutus likes this

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted May 30 2019 - 12:26 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Sounds great! Please post some pics when you get a chance. :D Setup and all. This is a species I would love to get. :D Apparently they are native here but not very common.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 31 2019 - 6:43 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I know this is a very late update, but it turns out that the queen was actually an infertile alate that shed her wings and acted like a worker. she never laid any eggs, was caught foraging in the outworld and I actually found two more wingless queens under the exact same log and novaeboracensis is a strictly monogynous species. The colony slowly died out.

Edited by Manitobant, December 31 2019 - 6:44 PM.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 1 2020 - 4:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Must have been a satellite nest, then.

• Manitobant likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users