• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sugar to Water Ratio for Feeding(ANSWERED)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 27 2019 - 6:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
So, with my new colony of C. hyatti, I want to know the general ratio used by most of you to provide ample sugar.

Edited by NickAnter, May 29 2019 - 3:54 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 28 2019 - 12:27 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

There's a lot of mixed opinions on this.  User Barristan has a website that features a good article on the topic.  You can use Google to translate the article if you can't read German.  It's a good starting point for home made sugar solutions.

CrazyAnts Article: https://crazyants.de...ern-und-lagern/

Alternatively, you may want to consider Sunburst Ant Nectar, which is a convenient and reliable sugar solution that is ready to offer to your ants without any preparation.  It's perfect for newbies as well as users who want the convenience of a ready-to-use liquid sugar in a bottle.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 28 2019 - 4:54 AM.

• Barristan, ConcordAntman and NickAnter like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Antking117 - Posted May 28 2019 - 5:00 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I just use sunburst and don't mess with all that stuff.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 28 2019 - 5:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thank you drtrmiller, all I had to do was look at the ratio.  Thanks again!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 28 2019 - 8:35 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I use - water to sugar ratio of 1:1

What did you decide to go with?

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 28 2019 - 8:39 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I use water to sugar and ratio 2:1

#7 Offline Acutus - Posted May 28 2019 - 11:07 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I use Honey. LOL :)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#8 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 28 2019 - 4:52 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I use Honey. LOL :)

Sameee

Spoiler

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 3:53 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, I am going to edit the title so that it is "answered." I just made the 3 to 1 mixture, as stated by the German article.

Edited by NickAnter, May 29 2019 - 3:55 PM.

#10 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 31 2019 - 8:12 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
3:1 as in 3 parts water 1 part sugar? What exactly would be the point in diluting the sugar?

Edited by Joehostile85, May 31 2019 - 8:13 AM.

• TheRealAntMan likes this

#11 Offline Barristan - Posted May 31 2019 - 8:55 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

You can read this article: https://www.scienced...022191098000535

Ants collecting dilute solutions (5 to 15% w/w) returned to the nest with partial crop loads. Crop filling increased with increasing sucrose concentration, and reached a maximum at 42.6% w/w. Workers collecting highly concentrated solutions (70% w/w) also returned to the nest with a partially-filled crop, as observed for dilute solutions.
Nectar intake rate was observed to increase with increasing sucrose concentration in the range 5 to 30% sucrose. It reached a maximum at 30.8%, and declined with increasing sucrose concentration.

#12 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 31 2019 - 9:06 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

You can read this article: https://www.scienced...022191098000535

Ants collecting dilute solutions (5 to 15% w/w) returned to the nest with partial crop loads. Crop filling increased with increasing sucrose concentration, and reached a maximum at 42.6% w/w. Workers collecting highly concentrated solutions (70% w/w) also returned to the nest with a partially-filled crop, as observed for dilute solutions.

Nectar intake rate was observed to increase with increasing sucrose concentration in the range 5 to 30% sucrose. It reached a maximum at 30.8%, and declined with increasing sucrose concentration.

Ok so going on those quotes and since were talking sugar water. They are suggesting 42.6% sugar. Which is basically a 1:1 ratio. Except they are talking about weight and I was referring to volume so I don’t know if those would equal the same thing?

And now that I think of it, I’m thinking 1 cup of water weighs more than 1 cup of sugar. So they are actually calling for a higher sugar ratio than 1:1.

Edited by Joehostile85, May 31 2019 - 9:26 AM.

#13 Offline Barristan - Posted May 31 2019 - 9:27 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

You can read this article: https://www.scienced...022191098000535

Ok so going on those quotes and since were talking sugar water. They are suggesting 42.6% sugar. Which is basically a 1:1 ratio. Except they are talking about weight and I was referring to volume so I don’t know if those would equal the same thing?

And now that I think of it, I’m thinking 1 cup of water weighs more than 1 cup of sugar. So they are actually calling for a higher sugar ratio than 1:1.

But intake rate will also go down exponentially so at 42.6% ants will fill their crop the most but it takes also a lot longer for them.

If nothing is otherwise stated they used weight not volume to calculate the ratio.

Edited by Barristan, May 31 2019 - 9:28 AM.

#14 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 31 2019 - 9:56 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
1 cup of water = 225g
1 cup of sugar =200g
So 42% sugar would equal a weight ratio of 94.5g(sugar):225g(water)

So for a full crop they are suggesting a ratio that is just under 1:1 (slightly less sugar). But Is it not possible that the ants drink less when there’s higher concentration of sugar because they require less of the liquid to get the same amount of sugar? Thus saving room for other food sources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users