• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can tapinoma sessile gas themselves in a tube?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 25 2019 - 12:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Today I caught a tapinoma sessile colony with about 15 workers and 1 queen. I know these guys have incredibly stinky chemical defenses and this got me wondering if Like some formica species with strong acid (such as rufa) they can kill themselves by gassing their tube with formic acid. Can tapinoma do this or am I just overreacting?

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:24 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Although I have not run into this issue, I suspect a large number in a small container can do so.

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 25 2019 - 2:55 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

smell is not toxic, just really unpleasant. they also do not constantly release it.

#4 Offline mrfroggyjoe - Posted May 25 2019 - 7:13 PM

mrfroggyjoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The smell isn't caused by acid it is just pheromones that will fade away, no harm to your ants.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 26 2019 - 3:43 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

The chemicals released are indeed often used in defense and are more than just pheromones. I still think a large number in a small closed container could run into trouble, although admittedly since my only goal with OHA has been their death I have never worried about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users