• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How Do You Use byFormica Liquid Feeders? (User Poll)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Which statement best describes how you use your byFormica liquid feeders? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which statement best describes how you use your byFormica liquid feeders?

1. I mostly use them for sugar solutions (Sunburst, sugar water, honey, etc.) (11 votes [52.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

2. I mostly use them for plain water (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I use byFormica feeders about equally for plain water and sugar solutions (10 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:14 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Please only answer the polling question at the top of the page if you own and use byFormica branded liquid feeders.

If you use your byFormica liquid feeders mainly for sugar solutions, let us know in the comments what you use for plain water.

Also, even if you do use your byFormica feeders for both plain water and sugar solutions, do you also provide another source for plain water from which the ants may drink?

We're interested in learning how our customers use our products so we may improve our product lineup and better meet the needs of our customers.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 25 2019 - 1:20 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Leo - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:34 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Um I use 3d printed ones

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted May 26 2019 - 2:06 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I use byFormica feeders for sugary liquids (Sunburst, diluted maple syrup with added glocuse).

Water is provided with test tubes (which are also used as satellite nests and bird feeders - the byFormica feeders simply don't have the capacity to provide water supply for my large colony.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 26 2019 - 3:07 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I use byFormica feeders for sugary liquids (Sunburst, diluted maple syrup with added glocuse).

Water is provided with test tubes (which are also used as satellite nests and bird feeders - the byFormica feeders simply don't have the capacity to provide water supply for my large colony.

However plain water is dispensed, most of it is lost to evaporation.

You can measure the effects of evaporation in comparison to the colony water requirements by simply placing one waterer where the ants can access it, and another identical waterer outside the foraging area, away from the ants.  See how much faster the one used by the ants is depleted compared to the one the ants can't touch.  One caveat to this method is that ants could modify the waterer by placing dirt and doing other things to it which may change the evaporation rate, so you'll also need to account for this.

I'm testing some things now to improve the usefulness of byFormica feeders as water feeders, and so that is why am polling and seeking feedback from users on this topic.

• Boog likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted May 26 2019 - 4:47 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

However plain water is dispensed, most of it is lost to evaporation.

My water test tubes have straws as entrances and are used as satellite nests. Their water tanks usually last between 6 and 12 months.
The bird feeders last around 1-2 weeks (depending on the temperature) and yes there is evaporation but that also provides a baseline humidity for the outworlds (which I consider a good thing as I rarely ever actively water most of them).

Edited by Serafine, May 26 2019 - 7:58 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted May 26 2019 - 11:53 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I offer my ants two feeders, one small one filled with sunburst and one larger one filled with water.

#7 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 4 2019 - 9:03 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
I usually use small byformica feeders for sugary solutions (sugar water, brown sugar water, honey water, maple syrup water, and sunburst). The larger ones I use for water. My nests have hydration systems the ants can drink from, so the the water feeders are supplementary.

#8 Offline Boog - Posted July 17 2019 - 8:27 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

My colony recently got into the 200s, and I had to bust out the Mega feeder for water about 3 weeks ago and it's got about a week left I think. I use the Mega and Mini for water, the mini for Ant Nectar and sugar solutions. I'm expanding with a couple more outworlds and am fixing to use more of the liquid feeders to test out how much they respond to different liquids in different arenas. I use your liquid feeders exclusively for now, since I don't like the amount of space a test tube takes up in their outworld. Their nest has humidity that condenses against the plastic so I think that's another source they drink. Their outworld water is bottled spring water and their grout nest hydration water is distilled. Just ordered some Ant Nectar, excited to try out the new formulation.

Filling up!

gallery_4140_1524_65556.jpg

Edited by Boog, July 17 2019 - 10:34 PM.

• drtrmiller likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:49 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Filling up!

gallery_4140_1524_65556.jpg

I love the attachment to the side wall of your foraging area!  It is very similar to something I've been working on for a while.

Glad to hear the feeders are working well for you.  Let me know how the Sunburst works when you've had a chance to try it!

• Boog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users