• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant species for a school science lab?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mortsy88 - Posted May 23 2019 - 6:05 AM

Mortsy88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've managed to secure a position as a science technician and I wish to be able to keep an ant colony here.

I have always kept ants, mainly native species in the UK (e.g. Lasius niger) but now I think this might be a great way to go for a more 'exotic' ant species.

Any ideas of a good species I can use to get students interested in the study of ants?

Many thanks,

Samuel

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 6:18 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Formica, Myrmica, Solenopsis or Camponotus.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 23 2019 - 6:20 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Formica, Myrmica, Solenopsis or Camponotus.

Camponotus would probably be better as they're large and you can see their behaviors more easily.

• drtrmiller likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 23 2019 - 6:42 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I suggest importing some sort of large Camponotus.

Edited by rbarreto, May 23 2019 - 6:43 AM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 7:26 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Dinomyrmex gigas would be stunning in a classroom! They are a HUGE carpenter ant.
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 23 2019 - 7:30 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Dinomyrmex gigas would be stunning in a classroom! They are a HUGE carpenter ant.

Yeah, but where would you even get them?

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 8:02 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
He can import them.

#8 Offline Acutus - Posted May 23 2019 - 8:27 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I run a Nature Center and I, just this year, decided to keep a couple Ant farms to compare and contrast the behaviors of social insects. (I also keep Honey Bees and am thinking of termites. :D

Anyway I chose Camponotus because of their size and the ability for Children to see them. With Camponotus you also eventually get the ability to show off the polymorphic aspects with Queen, Super Major, major, minor.

• Nare likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 8:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I run a Nature Center and I, just this year, decided to keep a couple Ant farms to compare and contrast the behaviors of social insects. (I also keep Honey Bees and am thinking of termites. :D

Anyway I chose Camponotus because of their size and the ability for Children to see them. With Camponotus you also eventually get the ability to show off the polymorphic aspects with Queen, Super Major, major, minor.

Dinomyrmex gigas are polymorphic too. Much more than Camponotus.

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 23 2019 - 9:01 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Camponotus would be great for a classroom. I know in the U.S. at least Solenopsis invicta is very commonly used for research, given their abundance and growth rate.

#11 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 23 2019 - 9:57 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Kids would love Carebara Diversa or pheidole, some species with majors that have big heads

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#12 Offline David19 - Posted May 23 2019 - 10:28 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

I keep termites! They are a lot of fun! You should give it a shot next year!

• Nare and Acutus like this

#13 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted May 24 2019 - 9:41 PM

BeginnerAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Dinomyrmex gigas need a very large space to roam, or so I have heard

#14 Offline AntPhycho - Posted May 24 2019 - 9:56 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Myrmecocystus Mexicanus (Honey Pot Ant). This species is extremely interesting due to their behavior. Workers in this species (repletes) swell with liquids and hang from the ceiling of a chamber. These swelled workers act as live food storage for the rest of the colony. 

qPTlGuq.png

I have also heard of people feeding M. mexicanus dyed honey which will turn their "food storages" different colors. 

4vk2OEh.png

Watch this video for some more info about honey pot ants. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=joL0ClvRlRU

Edited by AntPhycho, May 24 2019 - 10:01 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#15 Offline Leo - Posted May 24 2019 - 11:01 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Dinomyrmex gigas are polymorphic too. Much more than Camponotus.

Honey DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY COST. THEY MAKE MY MYRMECIA LOOK CHEAP IN COMPARISON 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline Serafine - Posted May 25 2019 - 12:31 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

He can import them.

The last time one was up for sale in Europe it went for 1500 - ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED - Euros. You can get five large ant setups for that.

My recommendation for a classroom ant would be Messor barbarus. Not a queen (they are very sensitive during founding) but a small colony of a few dozen ants.

They are:

- cheap to buy

- cheap in maintenance due to being seed-eaters (they can eat seeds for carbs and boiled egg for protein)

- VERY active (one of the most active ant species once they have a few hundred workers and some substrate to dig)

- can be left alone for extended periods (as long as they have enough seeds and water they can be left alone for even a month)

- grow relatively large but not too large (about 12-15k average adult colony size)

- Can't sting and don't have acid either (large majors can bite though)

- have only a weak hibernation from December to March at around 15°C (if that's an issue there's also Messor species that do not hibernate)

Most Camponotus grow slow, are very inactive while small colonies and nocturnal on top, bad choice for a classroom.

Small ants like Lasius or Pheidole are escape artists that are hard to contain, not a good choice either.

Solenopsis outright explode into existence with their ridiculous growth rate, are escape artists and have painful stings which can hurt for days and cause nasty inflamations. Great choice if you want to get sued by parents.

Carebara are SUPER sensitive, notoriously hard to raise and absolute hate being shipped. Terrible choice for a classroom.

Most Serviformica species (like Formica fusca) are very sensitive to disturbance but there are a few (like Formica cinerea) that are more confident and aggressive which could work in a classroom (they need constant feeding though, especially during the summer).

• Martialis, Nare and Somethinghmm like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#17 Offline Leo - Posted May 25 2019 - 12:33 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Carebara are SUPER sensitive, notoriously hard to raise and absolute hate being shipped. Terrible choice for a classroom.

I agree

#18 Offline Barristan - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:25 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

My suggestion would be Camponotus vagus:

• They are huge: workers up to 13 mm
  • They have a quite fast development time for a Camponotus species (only 6 weeks from egg to worker @ 25+ °C)
  • They are active, even at lower numbers and also during day
  • They are still quite inexpensive
  • The end colony size is around 1000 - 4000 workers

Start with a colony with at least 25 or 50 workers, because earlier you won't see much activity at all. If you can get a bigger colony it would be even better, since activity will be higher.

• VoidElecent likes this

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 25 2019 - 5:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just sayin’ but I teach middle school, and I wouldn’t even dream of subjecting my ants to life in a classroom. I teach in a ghetto school, though.
  • Herdo and Martialis like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline Martialis - Posted May 25 2019 - 5:43 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
I don’t suggest importing anything—especially non natives able to survive in the UK’s climate.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users