• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to take care of Eurhopalothrix?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted May 22 2019 - 6:32 AM

BeginnerAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
I have this Eurhopalothrix that I’ve had for at least one month by now. It shed wings the first day I got it, but has been stagnant ever since. I’ve given it mealworm and various types of termites but it seems to refuse them and also does not seem to lay eggs. Do you guys have any advice on how to coerce her to eat and lay eggs? She is currently in a test tube setup with no substrate(been informed recently that they need substrate).

Edited by BeginnerAntKeeper, May 22 2019 - 6:33 AM.

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 22 2019 - 7:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Try feeding her springtails. They feed on small soil arthropods.

• AntsBC likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 22 2019 - 7:34 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Yes that species is very keen to eating springtails they can be found commonly under rocks and it is easy to breed your own

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 22 2019 - 4:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

generally small soil dwelling ants eat the aforementioned springtails and small diplurans and centipedes.

also, really cool looking ant. Hope you good luck. :)

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 22 2019 - 4:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

apparently this is a really rare ant. Please let us know about any behaviors you notice!

Yes that species is very keen to eating springtails they can be found commonly under rocks and it is easy to breed your own

supposed to be really rare. could you describe how you found them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users