• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Plagiolepsis

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 18 2019 - 4:41 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So I noticed two workers under a tile when I have never seen these anywhere except arizona. I know they are extremely invasive. What do I do?

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 18 2019 - 6:27 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Florida and Hawaii are the only states that are known to have populations of Plagiolepis. You're likely seeing something else.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 18 2019 - 6:41 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Post a clear picture.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 19 2019 - 8:16 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I'm sure many species in AZ, including Brachymyrmex spp. and Nylanderia spp. could be easily mistaken for Plagiolepis. How did you identify the workers?

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 19 2019 - 9:26 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm sure many species in AZ, including Brachymyrmex spp. and Nylanderia spp. could be easily mistaken for Plagiolepis. How did you identify the workers?

extremely small yellow workers with a large abdomen(compared to body), sometimes see dark spots on abdomen. rounded head. smaller than local brachymyrmex.

Post a clear picture.

my photography skill are nill. picture would look like a yellow dot.

Edited by ponerinecat, May 19 2019 - 9:26 AM.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 19 2019 - 9:27 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Florida and Hawaii are the only states that are known to have populations of Plagiolepis. You're likely seeing something else.

searched the web, only thing that looks alike is brachymyrmex, which are larger than the two workers I saw. 

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 19 2019 - 5:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Can you measure them on a ruler, or collect one and put it under a microspe? One thing that might explain the size, is if they are nanitics.

Edited by NickAnter, May 19 2019 - 5:26 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 19 2019 - 8:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Went back to the rock and they are not there. will have to keep an eye out. they were smaller than large springtails, smaller than hypoponera. Pretty sure not nanitics of brachymyrmex.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 20 2019 - 2:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
You are sure that it is not a Myrmicine, right?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 20 2019 - 2:03 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

no, it was not. I know what the general myrmicine looks like.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 20 2019 - 3:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Okay, I'm stumped. Maybe it is Plagiolepis.

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 20 2019 - 3:07 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Consider Acropyga. I would put money that it is not Plagiolepis.

• Martialis and Aaron567 like this

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 21 2019 - 3:51 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe... but they were a bit more yellow, like lasius latipes yellow. Also were near the suface, not in the nest, wich I don't think acropyga do.

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 4 2019 - 8:20 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
med_gallery_3141_1423_5011671.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_224907.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_186896.jpg

you doubted me. heres proof.(I think)

drugged with ethyl fumes

#15 Offline AntsBC - Posted September 4 2019 - 8:39 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada
Acropyga epedana?

Totally guessing though, as I'm not good at identifying small ants like these (Without a fair amount of research).

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 5 2019 - 5:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I don't this is Acropyga. It very well be Plagiolepis allaudi. The queen fits pretty well. It is either this or Brachymyrmex depilis.

#17 Offline Martialis - Posted September 5 2019 - 6:09 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

This looks like an Acropyga to me. These ants tend to have very distinctive ocellli, which are obvious even in photos of this quality.  The mesosoma is fairly "skinny" where it attaches to the head, which is another distinctive feature of this genus. Neither of these features are necessarily characteristic of Plagiolepis.

When you found her, did she have anything in her mouth? Acropyga are obligate coccidophiles, and A. epedana (the only species in Arizona) is  no exception.

Spoiler

#18 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 5 2019 - 10:47 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

This looks like an Acropyga to me. These ants tend to have very distinctive ocellli, which are obvious even in photos of this quality.  The mesosoma is fairly "skinny" where it attaches to the head, which is another distinctive feature of this genus. Neither of these features are necessarily characteristic of Plagiolepis.

When you found her, did she have anything in her mouth? Acropyga are obligate coccidophiles, and A. epedana (the only species in Arizona) is  no exception.

the doesnt look like acropyga to me, they have long and thin gasters. I'm putting my bet on brachymyrmex depilis. They are very small, around the same size as solenopsis molesta maybe smaller. They
Are also smaller than other brachymyrmex from what I've seen.

#19 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 5 2019 - 1:56 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

no mealybugs in the mouth, just landed on a blacklight. this things slightly smaller than solenopsis molesta.

#20 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 5 2019 - 2:04 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

YQM03QI0FQ70FQHQVR80FQ3KDQ80CQ80FQU0ORXQ

this is depilis

similar but different

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users