• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sacramento, California. 5/12/19

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jefw1f - Posted May 12 2019 - 12:45 AM

Jefw1f

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Easter day I was Hiding Eggs for the Kids and I lifted up a hollow Bunny in the garden and voila. I saw workers egg and was like woah this is so cool. Then I noticed a very large ant and was lik omg is that a queen!!! Then i went into frantic cath mode and my girlfriend had to explain my secret (Ants Canada Obsession) to everyone else hiding eggs.

After a few weeks in this formicarium and quick diy outworld here are some pix from the colony. I will do my best to answer all questions.

1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country).

Sacramento, California. Home garden.

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens).

Easter 2019
3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).

inside a hollowstone bunny. Against the sides all the way up. Bunny was inside of an old unused garden that was bark and soil.
4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.) Millimeters is preferred. Length is measured from the tip of the head to the tip of the gaster, excluding antennae, legs and stingers. Do not estimate, use a ruler! No matter how good you think you are at guessing the length of something, it's amazing how far off you can be sometimes.

No Idea, but seems small. the walls in the pix are an AC tetramorium Nes if that helps.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture (ie: dark redish-orange head, velvet-like gaster, translucent, hairy/bald, shiny/dull, etc.). Be as specific as possible, and you can use the diagram below if you need it.

Black ants. the oung ones are light brown/golden. the queen has slightly golden rings around her gaqster, possible small hairs at the rings.
6. Distinguishing characteristics (ie: one petiole node/two petiole nodes, length and orientation of any spines or bumps on the thorax or waist, head shape, eye size, shape of mandibles, number of antennal segments, etc.)

three distinct segments. when attacking then bring their gaster to the target.
7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.).
8. Nest description (if you can find the nest, and you're sure it belongs to the ant you collected) (ie: rotted log, volcano-shaped mound of coarse gavel 10cm in diameter, etc.).

see habitat of collection

9. Nuptial flight time and date (if you witnessed the ant or it's colony having a nuptial flight or caught an alate you are confident was flying that day or time)

N/A
10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

gallery_4089_1526_1357260.jpg

gallery_4089_1526_589054.jpg

gallery_4089_1526_1921276.jpg

gallery_4089_1526_1306840.jpg

gallery_4089_1526_211572.jpg

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 4:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Tetramorium immagrans.
  • VoidElecent likes this

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 13 2019 - 7:37 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Some more accurate information (namely measurements) would be nice, but these do seem to be Tetramorium immigrans.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 13 2019 - 2:59 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

T. immigrans is very common in that area so I would not be at all shocked for this to be that species.

#5 Offline Jefw1f - Posted May 13 2019 - 7:31 PM

Jefw1f

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah I don't have a ruler that was small enough. They are very tiny.

I'm not surprised that they are pavement ants. Thanks for the tips everyome!

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted May 13 2019 - 7:57 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Still a Cool find and good starter ants from what everyone says!! Congrats on the colony! :D

• VoidElecent likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users