• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Formicaria for Resisting Falls

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PriorToFormica - Posted May 8 2019 - 8:37 PM

PriorToFormica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everyone! I am looking for a nest that can withstand a fall and stay sealed. I have two cats that are very playful and I lost my latest colony because they knocked over their small DIY setup and they escaped. I have caught a Camponotus queen and she now has about 20 workers. I’m looking for a starter nest that can be safely kept on my desk or at least stay sealed in a fall. Any input is welcome!
  • AntJohnny likes this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 9 2019 - 4:30 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Patient: "Hey Doc, my hand hurts when I hit it with a hammer. Can you give me some pain meds?"

Doc: "Don't hit your hand with a hammer. No pain meds for you."

Why research fall-resistant formicaries when you really should be preventing the falls from happening in the first place?

Put the formicarium in a closet or bathroom with the door closed, or in another, larger container like a chest or empty aquarium.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto and Rstheant like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 9 2019 - 5:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You could also get some cheap shelves to elevate them somewhere your cats can't reach. The added benefit of this is the extra warmth. It's surprising what a difference a few feet can make temperature wise.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline PriorToFormica - Posted May 9 2019 - 2:11 PM

PriorToFormica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks! I’ll look to see if I have space in my closet.

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 9 2019 - 2:29 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Also check Wal-Mart and Amazon for clear bins.

You could put the entire setup in a large enough bin and your cats couldn't mess with it, unless you have lions.

I keep my setups in plastic bins even without cats.  They're easier to move around, and the bin can be lined with Fluon as an extra layer of escape prevention.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 9 2019 - 2:30 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted May 9 2019 - 3:09 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I hear velcro works wonders for keeping stuff in place

I hear velcro works wonders for keeping stuff in place

Spoiler

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 9 2019 - 6:27 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Lol, lions, Terry, if he had lions, the neighbors would move out.

:lol:

#8 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 14 2019 - 7:55 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Gotta train that cat to not jump on things you don’t want it to. I do not believe fall survivability was ever a design criteria for a formicarium ever in the history of earth.

If you want cat training advice; I yell at mine when it jumps on things I don’t want it to. Worked out pretty well for me so far.

Edited by Joehostile85, May 14 2019 - 7:59 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 14 2019 - 8:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yeah if you discipline your cat, it will not like it and stop doing whatever it is getting in trouble for. Lucky, (My cat) kept jumping on top my desk, where my ants are, and I yelled at him enough to where he does not do it as often. If you yell at him and he does not get down, give him a tap on the butt. ;)

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 14 2019 - 8:53 AM.

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 15 2019 - 11:34 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

you could put blu-tac down as well to seal the nest to the surface it is on to deter the cats from knocking it over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users