• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

**SEE LINK**Ferox's Strumigenys louisianae Journal (Updated 5/14/2021)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2019 - 5:00 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

So last August, I had captured a very large colony of Strumigenys membranifera that were nesting about a foot away from the base of a small elm tree. The colony had three queens! The next morning, I checked on them, and they were all dead. In November, I flipped over a rock at my park, and next to a colony of termites was a large colony of Strumigenys louisianae! The next morning, I checked on them, they were all dead. I later found out that the reason was because I never gave them any hydration in their temporary holding containers, and they are VERY sensitive about that, but it was too late. Today, I decided to scoop up a bit of soil from the base of that same elm tree, and the first ant I saw was a Strumigenys individual! I took a closer look at her and she was a Strumigenys louisianae, and not only that, but a queen! I looked through more of the soil and found another StrumigenysStrumigenys membranifera, and a worker. I looked more, and I finally came across a Strumigenys louisianae worker! I looked more, and even scooped up some more soil samples, but that was it, a queen and a worker. It's a shame that there aren't more, but at least I've got Strumigenys:yahoo:

Edited by Ferox_Formicae, May 17 2021 - 4:55 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:33 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I have got them in a setup. It's a rather simplistic setup, but it allows for optimal viewing. I'm housing them in my clearest container. It has an easily removable lid on it, so that's nice. On the bottom of the formicarium is a layer of cotton, which can be hydrated through a tiny hole at the bottom. Over the cotton is a thick, white sheet of poster-board cut to size. In the center of that is a small hole, from which a piece of cotton emerges, below which is the hole, so it's easy to hydrate the ants. There is a very small amount of soil in the formicarium to make the ants feel more comfortable. I gave them a springtail, but they have yet to touch it. I would love to see these guys eat. I hear it's really cool, especially because this specific species of Strumigenys is a trap-jaw ant. In fact, whenever I'm talking about this species to someone who doesn't know ant scientific names, I often refer to these ants as Louisiana Miniature Trap-jaw Ants, or simply Miniature Trap-jaw Ants. In the past, I've observed these ants clicking their jaws against a tiny needlepoint, sending them flying back. Whenever this colony gets larger, that'd be fun to see.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 9 2019 - 3:24 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Just as I had suspected, they decided to move onto the cotton in the middle of their enclosure. They seem to like very wet areas the best. They still haven't touched the springtail though.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 9 2019 - 7:11 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

They just caught their first springtail! It was actually the queen that caught one. A springtail, roughly the same size as the queen, blundered stupidly onto her head, and was instantly seized. The queen recoiled, and stung the captured springtail. The worker, who was on the opposite side of the formicarium, walked over to her a few minutes later to enjoy the feast. I suspect that this colony will do just fine.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 9 2019 - 8:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I is jealous

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Me too.

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:32 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted a quick little video on these ants on Ferox Formicae of you wanted to see what these absolutely gorgeous ants look like!  (y)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
AC music really? :lol:

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:42 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

AC music really? :lol:

I mean, I could've used something by TheFatRat, but I just stuck with Jingle Punks instead. I'm not entirely sure why though.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Kidding. :lol: Where would I find some of these?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 10 2019 - 7:45 PM.

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:50 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Kidding. :lol: Where would I find some of these?

I've found them under rocks before. I found these ones at the base of an elm tree, however. They also like to hang out around Aphaenogaster tennesseensis nests, although I've never seen Aphaenogaster tennesseensis. They also like to nest in rotting wood. Just look for drier to semi-moist areas with lots of springtails. They love their springtails!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline Leo - Posted May 10 2019 - 11:08 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

what's funny is I could probably find a few colonies if i tried. but I don't due to the fact i'm too lazy to care for so many ants.

#13 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2019 - 9:52 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I think that the queen should be laying eggs soon, if she hasn't already! She hasn't been moving from one of the corners of the formicarium too much, and her daughter has been sticking with her quite a bit too. I'll have to look at them a bit closer to see if there are any eggs. ;)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:08 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Mine died.

#15 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:12 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Mine died.

That's a shame.  :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Wasn't really fond of my colony. They had kept dying with no brood to replace the workers.

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:18 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Wasn't really fond of my colony. They had kept dying with no brood to replace the workers.

I wonder why they kept dying.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:19 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I don't know. They had PLENTY of water in their nest. Maybe they weren't eating.

#19 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:20 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I don't know. They had PLENTY of water in their nest. Maybe they weren't eating.

What kind of springtails were you feeding them? I know that they won't accept certain species.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#20 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 10:21 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Little white ones.