• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus snellingi Journal (Updated 8/8/21)

camponotus myrmentoma camponotussnellingi snellingi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 8 2019 - 2:33 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus snellingi

Camponotus snellingi is a species in the Myrmentoma subgenus that is known only from the American southeast. They're most morphologically similar to Camponotus decipiens and Camponotus nearcticus, but are known for having black and yellow on their gasters. Some populations completely lack the black gaster coloration and are fully orange.

On May 1, 2019, at around 8:30-9:00PM, at my black light I found three weirdly small queens of what I'm currently identifying as Camponotus snellingi. I found a fourth one the following night. These queens flew at dusk (I think snellingi are usually day fliers like decipiens?) and are a much darker red than "typical" snellingi queens which seem to be more of an orange color rather than maroon red, with much less yellow on their gasters. They lack the head pubescence of discolor and caryae. They measure only 8-9 millimeters whereas normal queens can be 11-12 mm according to other people that have caught this species. A couple of the queens I caught have slightly more yellow than the others. 

One of the queens laid her first egg on May 6 and shed her wings on May 8. The other three have yet to do so but I expect them to lay soon. I doubt that only one is fertile.

May 1, 2019

c2JRdG7.jpg

May 6, 2019

O0MulyO.jpg

May 8, 2019

e6skgNE.jpg

EtUDPRU.jpg

ykXwUI4.jpg

Acx6IC4.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, August 8 2021 - 3:16 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and rbarreto like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 13 2019 - 5:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Good luck, and I too agree with your identification of Camponotus snellingi, the coloration fits perfectly.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline souljah212 - Posted May 14 2019 - 6:02 AM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nice. Is using a black light to capture them easier? Been waiting to get some since moving to Florida. I did catch what I believe to be a monomorium Pharaoh last week. And she’s Laid some eggs already. What camera do you use?

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 12 2019 - 2:20 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 12, 2019

Two of the four queens were seemingly infertile and have died. The wingless queen's first worker hatched today and the other queen will probably have hers by tomorrow. Each of these queens will only get two nanitics.. perhaps the queens cannot store enough fat during the founding process to raise more than two or three.

This nanitic is slightly smaller than the nanitic of Camponotus decipiens. Even with her pale callow color I can still tell that she has the signature gaster coloration that characterizes this species. 

AovxwNr.jpg

99iskyC.jpg

KvwNw2k.jpg

sxoJYor.jpg

Fz9sZJJ.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 12 2019 - 2:21 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Acutus like this

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 8 2021 - 3:21 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I gave away the queens in the previous posts way back in 2019. They never got past a few workers. In the year 2020 I did not get any mated queens of this species.

May 9, 2021

On May 9, 2021 I found two Camponotus snellingi queens at my blacklight, and no more after that. One of the queens kept laying a single egg and eating it, and that lasted a few months before she died.

dzF3j2K.jpg

June 26, 2021

The other queen got two nanitics, and one of them died a few days after eclosing. The remaining 2-3 pieces of brood were eaten. After this, it was a repetitive cycle of the queen laying 1-2 eggs and then eating them, never allowing any to become larvae. Despite taking good care of them, it seemed like I couldn't get them anywhere near a path to success.

fPnefjK.jpg

qk5aM4W.jpg

August 8, 2021

Recently I decided to boost this colony with some brood from a colony of Camponotus nearcticus I have. I don't think anything other than a brood boost would save them from inevitable doom. I've noticed the eggs of this species are larger than the eggs of decipiens and nearcticus, yet these snellingi queens are quite a bit smaller than the queens of those species. Combine those factors and you get slow egg production; I think that's one of the main reasons this species has been so hard to get going for me.

Since the brood boost, things are looking up. There are 6 eggs (by far the most there have ever been), two nearcticus pupae, and two nearcticus workers. The single snellingi nanitic is still alive. I think having larvae and pupae present promotes egg-laying.

6EFIJfh.jpg

MLDAb0k.jpg

GKy2FsB.jpg

Pex5YuU.jpg

aO0VYBU.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, futurebird and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, myrmentoma, camponotussnellingi, snellingi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users