• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ferox's Solenopsis invicta Journal (Updated June 10th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 4:21 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Yesterday, Solenopsis invicta flights were going on, and they were absolutely everywhere! I ended up catching 11 queens in the afternoon. Since Solenopsis invicta participate in pleometrosis, I figured that I might as well keep them communally, and a was running out of containers to put them in, so that would work out perfectly. The queens seem to enjoy clumping together in a large ball, and I have yet to see any of the queens start fighting, which is a good sign. I'm wondering if they'll keep most if not all of the queens alive, or if they'll only keep a single queen alive. Only time will tell...

Edited by Ferox_Formicae, June 10 2019 - 8:12 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I had a colony with 7 queens at capture, but the workers killed all of them.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:53 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I had a colony with 7 queens at capture, but the workers killed all of them.

Jeez!  :/

I guess I'll have to be careful and keep a close eye on them!

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 13 2019 - 4:55 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I checked up on the queens yesterday to look for eggs, and there is an absolutely enourmous pile with more than 50 eggs! They weren't kidding when they say these ants a quick growing!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2019 - 7:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Watch out! These will keep you busy, for sure.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 13 2019 - 7:49 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Watch out! These will keep you busy, for sure.

Yeah, I'll probably get them a terrarium as the colony gets larger.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 13 2019 - 3:45 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

This is why they are such successful invaders.

#8 Offline AntPhycho - Posted May 13 2019 - 4:57 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I too have a 7 queen solenopsis invicta colony founding. They have a massive pile of brood. No fighting.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 13 2019 - 6:16 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I too have a 7 queen solenopsis invicta colony founding. They have a massive pile of brood. No fighting.

Well hopefully mine don't fight either!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 23 2019 - 4:46 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Several of the eggs are starting to hatch. I can't even comprehend how many workers there are going to be once the all eclose! There will be well over 200 for sure! :o

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 5:46 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My queens got along perfectly. They always huddled together. They workers kill all of the queens.

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 23 2019 - 5:56 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

My queens got along perfectly. They always huddled together. They workers kill all of the queens.

I'll have to be careful. I'll probably have to get them into a larger encloser. That may help.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 6:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Mine were in a mini hearth XL.

#14 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 23 2019 - 6:19 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Mine were in a mini hearth XL.

Mine will definitely have to be in something a bit larger, as there will be over 200 workers. I'll probably make a custom nest, and I'll use one of your outworlds once I'm able to buy one.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 7:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Solenopsis invicta might be able to fit through it he ventilation gaps... I will test some Solenopsis molesta in one of mine.

#16 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 23 2019 - 7:29 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Solenopsis invicta might be able to fit through it he ventilation gaps... I will test some Solenopsis molesta in one of mine.

Well if Solenopsis molesta can't fit through, Solenopsis invicta definitely won't be able to!  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 2 2019 - 4:29 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Not even a month after their capture, and they already got pupa! That was CRAZY fast! I knew they had fast growth, but this is ridiculous!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#18 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 8 2019 - 4:36 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The pupa are starting to darken, and I suspect they should be hatching within a few days! My first workers of the season!  :D

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 8 2019 - 4:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 8 2019 - 5:37 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The pupa are starting to darken, and I suspect they should be hatching within a few days! My first workers of the season!  :D

It is so funny my 7 queen colony is in alignment with yours haha  :lol:  I just checked today and I have some pupa ready to hatch maybe within a week.

EDIT: Checked again and I saw one nanitic! She must have been hiding in the egg pile when I first checked! Gave them some honey!

Edited by AntPhycho, June 9 2019 - 5:48 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users