• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

University of Tennessee Masters program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 5 2019 - 5:19 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

POPULAR

Hey again all.  I have not been on the forum for some time but some of you may have known I had applied to do my masters in Entomology at UT Knoxville.  Well I got accepted and will be doing research on some taxonomy issues surrounding Tapinoma sessile.  Guess I will have to go from PurdueEntomology to VolEntomology :)!  I am excited about the research and just being in an academic environment.  There are exciting things going on these days in Entomology, and life sciences in general.  

• nurbs, Ants4fun, Barristan and 12 others like this

#2 Offline smares - Posted May 5 2019 - 12:12 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Awesome! Make sure to link us your research here!

#3 Offline Superant33 - Posted May 5 2019 - 3:01 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Good luck!! Wishing you the best!

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 5 2019 - 8:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good job!

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 10 2019 - 12:03 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Thank you all for the well wishes...

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 10 2019 - 2:07 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Hey again all.  I have not been on the forum for some time but some of you may have known I had applied to do my masters in Entomology at UT Knoxville.  Well I got accepted and will be doing research on some taxonomy issues surrounding Tapinoma sessile.  Guess I will have to go from PurdueEntomology to VolEntomology :)!  I am excited about the research and just being in an academic environment.  There are exciting things going on these days in Entomology, and life sciences in general.  

Awesome! I've also been wondering about this species, mostly regarding it's polygynous and monogynous tendencies. I've found colonies with only one queen here in the forest, but keepers just an hour or two south of me describe colonies with hundreds of queens invading their homes. Good luck!

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 10 2019 - 4:33 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

It may actually be we are dealing with a species complex here, there are apparently clades, thus some genetic variation, but work still needs to be done from an integrated taxonomic perspective to tease out the reality of the 'cryptic' species true nature...

• TennesseeAnts and JoeByron like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users