• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Xanuri's Formicarium (Beta design)

nest formicarium xanuri

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Xanuri - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:19 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

So, I have been working (slowly) on building formicariums of different sizes I have had some trials and tribulations and quite a bit of learning along the way, it has been fun and something to occupy my brain with, other than work and the general stress of life. I know I have shared a few pics on chat but figured I would post something official now that I have made some improvements and efficiencies in material usage and such, I still have a few other changes to make, but this more or less is a mock build. I have been inspired by many other designs especially by Drew's dirt box! Additionally, part of my goal was to deliver something that is more suitable with the smaller sp. such as S. xyloni. Even the #4 small dirt box does not provide adequate observation, as they are just too small and block out their nest with dirt. So I set out on a mission to create something similar to the dirt box but without the dirt, as well as something that would satisfy my wife's OCD, which means it has to be clean cut and not a bunch of boxes and tubes all over the place.

Currently my S. xyloni colony live in one of my first attempts, the "Alpha" design. I suppose the one in the gallery could be considered my "Beta" design. that uses less plaster material due to the hollow center.

The features of this formicaria are as follows:

• Hydration ports
  • Expansion port
  • Feeding port
  • Hand carved design w/ varying nest depths to provide hydration gradience
  • Hydrostone used for the bottom section to provide hydration
  • Hydrocal30 used for the nest area
  • 3 nest entrances (customizable)
  • all sides are connected. connections "cut the corner"
  • headroom to allow for use of byFormica Feeders
  • 150 micron Microscreen for ventilation

Future Features: (Future)

• Programmable thermostat, temp probe, and heating element (Currently not sure what size formicarium will support this, more testing will be required. this will also require a 12vdc power brick that will be included)
  • Queens Chamber, this is a concept I have in my head at the moment that would be a single chamber (relatively sized for the sp) that is not visible, to provide the queen privacy.

A couple of things to note for the next revision and likely my release candidate, the top of the nest in this one is also hydrostone and is a separate section, in the next release it will just be part of the nest section and made out of the hydrocal30 material instead. I do not own a 3D printer at this time so making custom parts is not really an option for me.

Disclaimer: I have no intentions of selling these publicly, I am not looking to compete with anyone here who do sell on the public market. If I were to sell any of these at any time at this point it would be to sell my colonies to AZ Locals and/or anyone here who might be interested, I obviously cannot mass produce these as they are all handmade and assembled, additionally they are not perfect and may have aesthetic imperfections and flaws because they are handmade. It also takes me time to make them as its part of my enjoying the hobby and since I have a REAL job, I do what I can in my spare time.

I'd be happy to work with someone on this as well, if anyone is interested?

I'd also like to thank Drew and Terry for their input and expertise! I also purchased plugs from Drew, figured if I am going to make these I'd want to make them compatible and capable of moving between product lines when necessary.

Anyway, I would certainly like feedback on what you see here, I am always up for constructive criticism.

Edited by Xanuri, April 2 2019 - 12:27 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:26 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Is that four sided?!

#3 Offline Xanuri - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:38 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Is that four sided?!

The one in the picture gallery is yes.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 2 2019 - 1:29 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Wow, that’s awesome. Piece of advice. If you’re going to pit water through those tubes and into the hydrostone through capillary action, make sure to match the pH of the water to that of the hydrostone.

#5 Offline Xanuri - Posted April 2 2019 - 1:36 PM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Wow, that’s awesome. Piece of advice. If you’re going to pit water through those tubes and into the hydrostone through capillary action, make sure to match the pH of the water to that of the hydrostone.

Good to know!

because my house is on a well, I make everything with distilled/RO spring water from a bottle, that way no impurities are introduced and I so far have hydrated using the same water. I will keep that in mind though as advice to pass along to anyone else who ends up with one of these!

Thanks!

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nest, formicarium, xanuri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users