• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What kind of ant farm do I use for fire ants?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 12 2019 - 12:03 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
Dankdoritos145 from Reddit brought be here. For selonopsis geminata. I also would like to know how long the queen has to stay in the test tube.

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 12 2019 - 6:35 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Solenopsis grow extremely quickly. One queen could get over 10,000 workers in 6 months. I would NOT recommend them to beginners. They also are a destructive speices, so they can escape from a lot of nests. As for a safe nest, I would go for any of THA's type 3 nests, or one of Drew's dirt shacks.

Edit: Also, where do you have Solenopsis geminata?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 12 2019 - 6:39 AM.

• FeedTheAnts and Mettcollsuss like this

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted March 12 2019 - 6:49 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I wouldn't put fire ants in a typical ant farm(Uncle Milton's), they would escape and quickly run out of room. If you don't want to use a professional formicarium then I would recommend a natural nest. Something like a ten gallon tank or larger with dirt on the bottom would be your safest option if you don't want your ants to escape. 

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline Xanuri - Posted March 12 2019 - 8:35 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

I have a S. xyloni colony in a #4 Small Dirt Box currently. I have 1 queen and about 25-30 workers, what I can tell you is that I rarely see them, unless I feed. even the 4mm is not small enough to keep them from blotting out the light. Right now in my opinion if you want to OBSERVE them, then us a AC Hybrid 2.0 nest or the Omni Nest. They are however pricy!

I also agree with the previous posts, if you have never kept Solenopsis, and you don't have much Ant keeping experience, to stay away from them until you do. You really don't want them escaping into your home, and trust me they can move an entire colony in a matter of hours, additionally they are very aggressive.

I am working on making a custom formicarium for them, as it is pretty boring keeping them in a dirt box and literally only see 1 or 2 workers a day looking for water or food, but I can guarantee you down below in the dirt they are hatching workers like mad and the queen is non-stop laying eggs! and by the end of summer this small dirtbox will not be big enough for them.

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#5 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 12 2019 - 5:03 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I find that a ‘tubs and tubes’ setup works well for these species. I have a colony of 1000 and I’ve still been using this method. It is simple, cheap, and effective. Only downside is that they sometimes chew through the cotton, and drown. Other than that, visibility is excellent, and cleaning is easy.

#6 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 12 2019 - 8:31 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
In the Philippines, how do I get a safe ant queen? Or where could I possibly find an ant queen safer than that?

Edited by Hightlyze, March 12 2019 - 8:31 PM.

#7 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 12 2019 - 9:05 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Solenopsis grow extremely quickly. One queen could get over 10,000 workers in 6 months. I would NOT recommend them to beginners. They also are a destructive speices, so they can escape from a lot of nests. As for a safe nest, I would go for any of THA's type 3 nests, or one of Drew's dirt shacks.

Edit: Also, where do you have Solenopsis geminata?

Its inside a testtube. I also found it on the couch

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted March 13 2019 - 5:33 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

In the Philippines, how do I get a safe ant queen? Or where could I possibly find an ant queen safer than that?

Nuptial flights are starting to kick up, you could find some Camponotus(Carpenter Ant) queens the same way you found your Fire ant queen. Just keep looking and you'll eventually happen to find some. 

Edited by TennesseeAnts, March 13 2019 - 5:33 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 13 2019 - 6:00 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Hey! DankDoritos145 here! If you really want to keep these fire ants you could just freeze them when they get too big. That’s what a lot of antkeepers do when their solenopsis colonies explode in growth. As for a nest, I would maybe go for an antscanada setup as hardy species like fire ants can do well in them. If you want a colony, I would maybe check out https://petantsmanila.comwhich is a formicarium and ant selling store in the Philippines.

Edited by Manitobant, March 13 2019 - 6:02 AM.

#10 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 14 2019 - 4:50 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Hey! DankDoritos145 here! If you really want to keep these fire ants you could just freeze them when they get too big. That’s what a lot of antkeepers do when their solenopsis colonies explode in growth. As for a nest, I would maybe go for an antscanada setup as hardy species like fire ants can do well in them. If you want a colony, I would maybe check out https://petantsmanila.comwhich is a formicarium and ant selling store in the Philippines.

Unfortunately the fire ant queen died

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 14 2019 - 6:17 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Unfortunately the fire ant queen died
sorry to hear that. You were doing everything correctly so it isn’t in any way your fault. Your first losses can hurt pretty badly but I can assure you that you will find MANY more queens this season. While just walking down the road you can sometimes bump into queens running along the sidewalk. The philippines has MANY interesting ant species to look out for such as carebara diversa, an aggressive species with huge size differences in the workers, oecophylla smaragdina, a species that weaves leaves together to build nests and much more! Trust me, your antkeeping expierence is only just beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users