• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from S.F. Bay Area, California / setting up classroom colony

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spencer70 - Posted January 28 2019 - 3:14 PM

Spencer70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Calif. USA

Hi all,

I teach a high school level Entomology class in the east Bay Area, California, and as we've been more generalists, learning about most Orders of insects, I have my social insects unit coming up in a month or so. I received a grant for my first AntsCanada setup (formicarium, outworld, etc), and in the next few weeks I'll be getting ready to introduce a few Camponotus quercicola (one mated queen and a few workers). I am starting with this species as they are endemic to this area.

This is the first time we'll have the opportunity to dive deep into one species, and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this web site and community frequently as I learn to care for our new ants. I'm doing a lot of reading on how to get started, and am excited to gain some experience with caring for a growing colony of ants. 

I welcome any and all tips and critiques of my setup, as I will likely post pics or journal entries. If there are any of you who are C. quercicola experts with tips on working with this species, feel free to contact me. 

Thank you, sincerely,

Spencer H.

Brentwood, Calif.

Spencer Holmes

Brentwood, Calif.

Just starting in this hobby...

One Camponotus quercicola colony

One Liometopum occidentale colony

#2 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 28 2019 - 3:37 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Look into YsTheAnt. He has a 20+ worker colony. You might want to check out his journal.
  • Spencer70 likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 28 2019 - 4:35 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
If its not too late, I would go Tarheelants for formicaria over AntsCanada. Their equipment isn't ideal.
  • Zeiss, FSTP, Will230145 and 1 other like this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#4 Offline Spencer70 - Posted February 3 2019 - 2:06 PM

Spencer70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the tips! I picked up my vial of C. quercicola today and have started keeping a journal. I can see that this hobby can become rather addicting. :-)

Spencer Holmes

Brentwood, Calif.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 3 2019 - 3:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think they might be happiest living in or with Live Oak. Some people like to give them Live Oak bark shavings or sawdust.

• Spencer70 likes this

#6 Offline nurbs - Posted February 3 2019 - 4:52 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Give them small bits of Oak bark in the outworld or test tube.

Which AC nest did you get? They generally are not ideal for many of the species here in CA.

• Spencer70 likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#7 Offline Spencer70 - Posted February 10 2019 - 1:37 PM

Spencer70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I did get the AC Camponotus Hybrid Nest 2.0, and I have the large oval outworld as well as Ant Tower Deluxe (small). These were from a DonorsChoose grant for my classroom, before I discovered Tar Heel Ants formicaria, which I'm really salivating over. Right now the ants are in the garage, in a test tube within a larger plastic container. I have added small oak bark chips from the local hills (they were frozen for a week) and have fed them a drop of sugar water once.  The colony has one queen, nine workers, and about 5 larvae.

Spencer Holmes

Brentwood, Calif.

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted February 10 2019 - 2:07 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Yeah, Tarheel Ants is for sure my favorite. Alot of work put into them, they are natural looking and quite beautuful. Best of all, each one is designed by him.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#9 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 10 2019 - 8:41 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Hi all,

I teach a high school level Entomology class in the east Bay Area, California, and as we've been more generalists, learning about most Orders of insects, I have my social insects unit coming up in a month or so. I received a grant for my first AntsCanada setup (formicarium, outworld, etc), and in the next few weeks I'll be getting ready to introduce a few Camponotus quercicola (one mated queen and a few workers). I am starting with this species as they are endemic to this area.

This is the first time we'll have the opportunity to dive deep into one species, and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this web site and community frequently as I learn to care for our new ants. I'm doing a lot of reading on how to get started, and am excited to gain some experience with caring for a growing colony of ants. 

I welcome any and all tips and critiques of my setup, as I will likely post pics or journal entries. If there are any of you who are C. quercicola experts with tips on working with this species, feel free to contact me. 

Thank you, sincerely,

Spencer H.

Brentwood, Calif.

I also recommend that the colony is still kept in a test tube setup with maybe an outworld. It's not really helpful for the ants if they live in a huge nest with only a few workers, and it can also be a little hard to manage. My camponotus colony is at around 80 workers right now, but their nesting space is still just a 20mm test tube. 

If you decide to buy THA formicaria, I'd recommend purchasing a smaller model and then moving them to the hybrid nest later on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users