• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Thatfa666ene's Aphaenogaster Fulva.

aphaenogaster fulva ant

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted January 25 2019 - 2:36 PM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationRaleigh North Carolina

I bought this founding colony from THA on October 23rd, 2018. Started with around 20-30 workers and the queen. 

20181023 190636
20181024 162526
20181203 221829

• rdurham02, Mettcollsuss and Karma like this

#2 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 25 2019 - 3:22 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Nice. Are you feeding them raw honey? Try feeding them like fruit flies. They go crazy for them! ;)

#3 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted January 25 2019 - 4:19 PM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Nice. Are you feeding them raw honey? Try feeding them like fruit flies. They go crazy for them! ;)

No sugar at all. They love fruit flies and mealworms. 

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 25 2019 - 4:48 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You should supply your ants with water, protein and sugar. They die if they are deficient of any thing listed before. Sure, they can survive for a small time, but definitely supply them with something. Like hummingbird nectar or honey, or my mixture, 1 tsp. nectar, 1 tsp. water, 1 tsp. raw, strained honey, and a pinch of idolized sea salt ( you can double these if you want more quantity).They won’t take to it immediately, but they will drink it eventually.

Some species, mostly harvester ants and Pogonomyrmex don’t need sugar, but seeds and protein instead.

Also, experiment! Find out what your ants prefer! Good luck and keep us posted! ;)

Edited by Rstheant, March 2 2019 - 4:13 PM.

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 25 2019 - 6:42 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ants that don't have a social stomach prefer fruits rather than liquid sugar. I hear granulated sugar works well for these.

Also, certain species do not need ANY sugar. Pogonomyrmex for example do much better in my experience without sugary substances, and with carbohydrates in the form of seeds.

Aphaenogaster tend to enjoy fruit, protein, seeds, and more.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 27 2019 - 4:18 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
In my experience, Aphaenogaster don't really like liquidy sweets such as honey, but they do like brown sugar. Although, they can still get along fine with little to no sweets. Aphaenogaster are largely carnivorous, with even the workers eating insects. In the wild, Aphaenohaster often collects certain seeds, but for some reason won't accept them in captivity.

This is just from my experience with A. rudis, I'm not sure how different A. fulva is.

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 27 2019 - 10:17 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Again, you should experiment! Find what your ants like. Most aphaenogaster LOVE dubia roaches.

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 27 2019 - 10:34 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You may not see them drinking nectar, but they do! Also, they love dubia roaches.

#9 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted January 28 2019 - 11:49 AM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

You should supply your ants with water, protein and sugar. They die if they are deficient of any thing listed before. Sure, they can survive for a small time, but definitely supply them with something. Like hummingbird nectar or honey, or my mixture, 1 tsp. nectar, 1 tsp. water, 1 tsp. raw, strained honey, and a pinch of idolized sea salt ( you can double these if you want more quantity).They won’t take to it immediately, but they will drink it eventually. Also, experiment! Find out what your ants prefer! Good luck and keep us posted! ;)

I don't know if it's because you said something or something in the air, but I finally got them to take some sugar. 

20190126 084343

Let me run down the list of sugars I've tried feeding them. Honey, chocolate, caramel, pressed fruit, fresh fruit, maple syrup, graham crackers, cake, cookies, peanut butter, jelly, sweet potatoes, with marshmallows. I guess I never thought about just plain sugar. Seems to have worked tho. 

#10 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted January 31 2019 - 12:50 PM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Update. 

Got these shots as I was preparing them to move the nest to a clean formicarium. This queen has been working. I've got some good video footage I'll figure out how to upload later. 

20190131 120401
20190131 120246

Recently just had some of my first worker deaths. I'm sure they were just old based off how small they were. However this colony is becoming voracious lately. I can feed them a medium-small bug every other day and they still seem like they could eat more. 

• Ants4fun, Canadian anter and rdurham02 like this

#11 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 31 2019 - 3:34 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Feed them more!! And also alter the meals every couple time. The ants get tired of the same stuff.

#12 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted February 6 2019 - 2:45 PM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Horrible update. Last night I fed my ants a roach I killed in my apartment. They ate it like nothing was wrong. I woke up this morning to most of my colony dead or dying.

https://flic.kr/p/2dw84od

https://flic.kr/p/2deoMdZ

Some of the workers still have their wit about them, whereas some are exhibiting very concerning behaviour.

Queen is obviously stressed. Can't tell for sure if this colony can recover from this. 

#13 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 6 2019 - 2:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Oh god. This is similar to what happened to one of my colonies ate food contaminated with pesticides. They probably came from the roach. Hopefully your colony recovers.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#14 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted February 6 2019 - 3:09 PM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Oh god. This is similar to what happened to one of my colonies ate food contaminated with pesticides. They probably came from the roach. Hopefully your colony recovers.

I nearly fainted. My poor babies. Needless to say I won't feed my ants bugs from around the house.

#15 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 6 2019 - 3:13 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You still can. Just boil or freeze them to kill the bacteria.
  • Thatfa666ene likes this

#16 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 6 2019 - 3:27 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I’ll admit it is scary when you see dead ants in the outworld. I’m guessing your first thought was what the heck?? You can’t die on me like this!! :threat:
  • Thatfa666ene likes this

#17 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 6 2019 - 3:36 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Boiling or freezing does not rid insects of pesticides. Do not feed your ants any household insects unless you are absolutely certain that they do not have any pesticides on them.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 6 2019 - 5:49 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Pesticides are fairly bulletproof....
  • YsTheAnt likes this

#19 Offline Thatfa666ene - Posted February 7 2019 - 9:56 AM

Thatfa666ene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I feel so helpless. And I just started this journal. 

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 7 2019 - 11:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I'm really sorry for this setback. I feed my ants insects and spiders I catch in my home only because I know nothing is sprayed. The problem with an apartment is that there's no telling what the management or other tenants are spraying. Roaches are the primary target as well, so if anything has been exposed to pesticides, it's likely to be them first. I would not recommend feeding anything caught in an apartment, really.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster fulva, ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users