• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Safe Glues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 3 2019 - 6:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
So, I am looking to build some formicariums similar to Drew's dirt box for my own use, and need some recommendations on ant-safe glues to use. I mostly intend to use these on Myrmecocystus and do not have enough money to buy as many as I would like. Open to all recomendations.
P.S. I will not sell these so do not accuse me of trying.

Edited by NickAnter, January 3 2019 - 6:52 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted January 3 2019 - 10:30 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Epoxy resin is used by many people to build formicaria. It generally requires up to 2 days to setup fully and be ready for ant-safe use in my experience, but some have suggested waiting ~1 week or so before use with ants after pouring epoxy.

Epoxy is extremely sticky uncured (it will make a mess) and cures into usually a clear durable plastic-feeling material and is good for coating preexisting containers with sand, casting formicaria, or gluing joints together.

• T.C. and Ant Broski like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 5 2019 - 7:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, it was very useful. I am glad that Epoxy would work because my dad has a large supply of it, as he basically uses it every day.

Edited by NickAnter, January 5 2019 - 7:43 AM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users