• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Colony Fusion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 31 2018 - 3:41 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
After numerous tests, I have concluded that you can indeed fuse two Camponotus chromaiodes colonies of similar size. What I did was chilled one colony, and introduced one worker to each colony. If they feed the foreign worker after some time, they should get along. Then add one more worker. If the same happens, you are in the green. Then, attach both colonies nests together via an outworld. Let them find each other. Now this part can take time. If there is aggression, chill them for a bit more. If they find each other and feed each other, the move will be under way shortly.

NOTE: This is based off of my colonies results. Yours may not be the same.

Edit: I have had most success with fusing a queenless colony to a colony with a queen, as well as two small colonies with queens.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, December 31 2018 - 3:44 PM.

#2 Offline Leo - Posted December 31 2018 - 5:26 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

lol, I just poured all of them into one larger tube at once and it worked anyways. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 31 2018 - 6:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

lol, I just poured all of them into one larger tube at once and it worked anyways.

you can fuse camponotus? The ones in my region are EXTREMELY monogynous.

#4 Offline Leo - Posted December 31 2018 - 7:06 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Yeah my only active camponotus journal is following my 2 queen camponotus pseudoirritans colony.

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 31 2018 - 7:20 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Like I said, the only ants I have tried this with is Camponotus chromaiodes. What Camponotus do you have in Canada?

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 31 2018 - 7:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Like I said, the only ants I have tried this with is Camponotus chromaiodes. What Camponotus do you have in Canada?
camponotus novaeboracensis, which is the most monogynous ant I have ever seen in my life. Colonies a few feet away will fight to the death and queens will have a full on battle royale when nesting nearby. I once kept about ten queens together while at my grandparents place (it’s infested with them) and once I got home to put them in test tubes only two lived.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 1 2019 - 9:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yeah I love C. novaeboracensis! I miss those ants. They are EXTREMELY monogynous, like you said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users