• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Salt vs Sugar Experiment

experiment salt sugar honey salt water formica subsericea formica tetramorium tetramorium immigrans

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 12 2018 - 6:40 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I stumbled across this short article the other day. The article states that ants that live away from oceans or other bodies of salt water will often prefer salt over sweets. It seems like an interesting idea, so I thought I'd try it.

I gave my Formica subsericea colony honey and a cotton ball soaked in salt water. At first, the honey and the salt both had only two ants drinking, but five-ten minutes later, the honey only had three or four ants, while the salt had about seven or eight. The ants drinking the salt water also seemed a lot more excited about their find than the ones drinking honey.

I also tried this with my Tetramorium immigrans colony, but I didn't get any conclusive results. This is likely due to the fact that they are a largely diurnal species, so there weren't really any workers out foraging. I'll update this when they're more active.

Just a fun little discovery I thought I'd share.

• Nanos and yuyo57 like this

#2 Offline Nanos - Posted December 12 2018 - 7:24 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

I stumbled across this short article the other day. The article states that ants that live away from oceans or other bodies of salt water will often prefer salt over sweets. It seems like an interesting idea, so I thought I'd try it.

I gave my Formica subsericea colony honey and a cotton ball soaked in salt water. At first, the honey and the salt both had only two ants drinking, but five-ten minutes later, the honey only had three or four ants, while the salt had about seven or eight. The ants drinking the salt water also seemed a lot more excited about their find than the ones drinking honey.

I also tried this with my Tetramorium immigrans colony, but I didn't get any conclusive results. This is likely due to the fact that they are a largely diurnal species, so there weren't really any workers out foraging. I'll update this when they're more active.

Just a fun little discovery I thought I'd share.

Pretty cool indeed, it seems like the effect is more prevalent in ants that are herbivores although i'm sure if you don't feed carnivorous ants meat for a while they might prefer salt over sugar. 

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted December 12 2018 - 11:09 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ants, like all animals, need salt to keep their sodium-potassium pump working (that's the mechanism that keeps your nerve fibers in a state where they can actually transmit signals across your body). I offer my ants a frozen shrimp every 2-4 weeks so they can stock up on salt (there's also a bit of salt in the diluted maple syrup they drink).

They also have a salt lick-stone (one of those usually used for rodents) but I'm not sure if they are actually using it (there's ants sitting on it occasionally but I can't tell if they're licking on it).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline CampoKing - Posted December 13 2018 - 6:51 AM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

Saw the same article a few months ago.  My Camponotus pennsylvanicus all take to himalayan salt crystals.  It's like the ant version of salt licks for deer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: experiment, salt, sugar, honey, salt water, formica subsericea, formica, tetramorium, tetramorium immigrans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users